1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Legally porting Netflix Watch Now movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by captainbaldo, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainbaldo

captainbaldo Thread Starter

Is this possible?

I have a plugin for my Windows Media Center that allows for downloading of Netflix movies from the watch it now service to watch later - NOT stripping the DRM, just storing it on your hard drive so you don't have to wait for it to stream when watching. It comes it pretty handy since I frequently don't have the time to sit down and watch an entire movie, and resuming a Netflix movie at a later time via streaming can be a pain if you need to fast forward a lot.

When I attempt to watch the downloaded movie, which is a DRM'ed .wmv file, it goes through the whole aquiring usage rights thing and recognizes my Netflix account and plays no problem.

What I'm wondering is this: doesn't Windows Media Player have an option to store licenses? And if so, shouldn't there be a way to play the downloaded Netflix files on my laptop even if I'm not on the internet? Sure would be handy to take on trips.

I was thinking something like: 1.) Download Netflix DRMed .wmv, 2.) Open the file on my laptop while connected to the internet to verify my Netflix account and obtain the proper license, 3.) Later come back to the same file while off the internet and use the backed up installed license to view. Of course, it doesn't actually work that way, or I wouldn't be posting this thread. I'm just wondering out loud if there is a way to actually accomplish this and still stay legal. Any thoughts?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Just talking out of my port hole here but since this is not a case of general distribution DRM, Netflix can require account verification for each access. That way Netflix doesn't have to worry about any movie being distributed by individuals with not so sensible intentions and, its not even that so much as it satisfies the entertainment industry regarding the method of content distribution and the rights therein.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice