1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Legit ISO file for W7!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donetao, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donetao

donetao Banned Thread Starter

Hi It is my understanding that a legit ISO file for windows 7 can no longer be found on the internet.
    Digital Rivers use to have the ISO file, but it is my understanding that Microsoft has stopped that.
    Doesn't Microsoft have enough money without doing that?
    Anyway, now is even a better time to start creating back up images with at least the back up feature provided by Windows.
    I prefer a 3rd party image program myself and back up my OS on a monthly basis. If your not going to do that, at least use the windows back up feature. There will be a day when you will be glad you read this thread and have that back up image on a external drive.;)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

2. donetao

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The main reason why Microsoft disabled all the Digital River Windows 7 ISO links was because of the proliferation of piracy.

Microsoft now requires you to provide a valid 25-character product key for the Windows 7 ISO file you want to download.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

--------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has their own way of reinstalling Windows 7 and getting a computer running again.

I prefer a clean reinstall and fresh start.

I have 3 computers running Windows 7 with the same programs, add-ons, plug-ins, etc..

If I need to redo one of them for some reason, I have a Windows 7 disc and drivers disc for each one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. donetao

Thanks Frank! I'm covered also. I have a USB flash with factory and the 5 DVD's with factory and several images of my OS on a external drive.
    Thanks for the Microsoft link. I was looking for that!!
    A clean install is always good, but a lot of extra work IMHO and not some thing this lazy old country boy enjoys doing. I have restored to factory twice. I might do that again just to have a clean PC, but my old Toshiba is running so well, I really hate to tempt fate.
    Thanks for your reply!!

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

No question a clean install with newest drivers and Windows Updates is probably the best start but especially with Windows 7 that can take forever with service pack and 200+ Windows Updates.
    I always have an image file of my complete Install with drivers, programs and Windows Update ready to go because that does save a lot of time but since Windows XP I have seldom used one. Now and then I restore with a newer image file to save time from a blunder as I had recently. Doing a complete full clean install to me is really for those with no foresight, a lot of extra work for little purpose.

6. donetao

I tend to agree with that and it really won't take very long before you require a lot of crap again. I use to be a clean freak, but I'm starting to get over that. I tend to watch my used space and as long as it stays under 45GB used space, I'm a happy camper with that. I watch my performance closely also. I'm not in to trying new programs any more, so restoring my OS isn't some thing I think about often.
    Thanks for your reply Rich!!
    Having the options available to get my PC up and running is a big relief to me and not some thing I worry about because I know I Can-Get-er-Done. Been there and done that!! 90% of PC users will never have that feeling, because they won't spend the time to get there, and that's a shame!!

7. jcgriff2

jcgriff2

I always start from scratch - my preference.

Windows 7 & 8.1 ISO on USB sticks; laptop w/SSD - fresh install is about 15 minutes max. Let Windows Updates take over for a bit; install Windbg 1st, then a few other apps. I let the Action Center find those 2 or 3 missing device drivers like the one needed for SD cards that Windows full retail never seems to have.

Windows 7 full retail saved my mom's Vista laptop in ~2011 when she had a BSOD epidemic naming either Atheros or Belkin wifi as the probable cause (not surprising at all) and I was unable to find a driver update.

Decided to load Windows 7 on it & was pleasantly surprised to find that Windows 7 had an updated driver for her wifi.

Bottom line as to thread title - system images are just not for me, especially given the number of systems that I maintain within my own home (4 kids - 13,16,20,25); extended family; friends. Literally dozens of them.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I haven't owned a new factory brand computer in several years, so doing a factory restore is a thing of the past for me.

I've developed a system to where I can finish the job in 5 - 6 hours, including the install of my desired programs, plugins, etc.

As soon as I finish playing with Windows 10, I'll be doing it to one of my Dell desktops.

----------------------------------------------------------

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Frank I can do that also in 5-6 hours maybe even quicker of Updates cooperate, I just don't have that time for that and there is no difference between finished product and an image file created at the completion of install with Updates and drivers.

And John I always do start with a clean install, I just don't have the time to do that to clear up some "bumble footed" mistake I made such as forgetting to create an image file before installing new software destroyed me a few weeks ago. It was the install of the Comodo Ice Dragon Browser which is a Mozilla based browser that "ko'd" my Windows 7 system. But when I went back to the very first image file I made after building this pc in December, how was that different than doing a clean install except with time? The drive is formatted before it is restored and the virgin image file is restored.

10. donetao

Hi! I over due every thing. I have a least 15 images of my OS on a 1TB seagate external drive. I have verified each one of them and I know they are good. Macrium has never let me down in the 10+ years I have used it. I have one image that was created right after restoring to factory and then images in between there and the present.
    PS I hope you are keeping more current images of your OS Rich. That way when you bumble foot, you won't have all those apps and up dates to install!:D;)
    Thanks for your reply!!(y)

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I am now Gary.

12. donetao

13. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The Microsoft link for windows 7, as my colleague said, requires a product key to obtain the download
    The Digital River one, authorised by Microsoft - Digital River still being one of their largest distribution partners - did not.

An OEM key will not be accepted on the Microsoft link.

I agree, I do not see the withdrawal of the Digital River links, as in any way connected with
    it was more or less certain to occur, when Microsoft provided the links for 8 and then 8.1 downloads

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  14. donetao

Thanks for your reply Macboatmaster and your information and explanation.
    Could you please explain to members the difference between a OME key and retail??
    I think that's the correct terminology.
    I also don't understand why the withdrawal of Digital Rivers ISO files. I may be wrong but I see it as a way to force people to buy 8 and 8.1. I understand Microsoft has to make money.
    Thanks!

15. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice