1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo desktop Rescue and Recovery to DVD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by LouCopits, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LouCopits

LouCopits Thread Starter

I note that one option is to backup to DVD. If I backup to DVD what do I need/use to recover my system from the DVDs?

It would seem that if I must have an operating XP system to recover I might as well backup to my "C" disk as I do now.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Lenovo Rescue and Recovery is far more than a backup program...I'm not sure you were aware of this?

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvantagetech/rescuerecovery.html

If your computer is entitled to use the software, it would be a great thing to have.

You need to make an image, (or complete backup) in order to have handy if the hard drive itself fails and believe me, they do....you can install a new drive and reload the complete operating system from the DVD.

Or, you can rescue important files....that alone is a big big plus.

It even has a browser that it says works when Windows won't boot. The DVDs are bootable, so all you need is the DVD drive that loads the program from your DVD.

3. LouCopits

LouCopits Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo DESKTOP with R&R, which seems to be different from the version that comes on laptops.

I do a complete image backup monthly on an external USB drive using Acronis. I also back up critical or important files and folders there. About once a week I backup using R&R to my C drive after I run a complete virus scan with AVG, AD-AWARE and XP Malware Removal. I was looking at an additional backup to DVD if it was bootable.A topic on the Lenovo Forum says it is not...

4. Byteman

Hi, There could be differences between the desktop version and notebooks....but, if the system you are using is entitled to run R&R I would take it up with Lenovo tech support.

Good source of info on various versions of R&R, etc.

First, I was here> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YHRRH "Troubleshooting by topic - Desktops "

Then, I clicked on the link below, found in the list.....
    "ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery"

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-56102

5. LouCopits

LouCopits Thread Starter

The answer on the Lenovo forum was not an answer, just a suggestion to try to create a DVD backup. My reply was "why create it if it is not bootable'.

6. Byteman

I suggested taking your question to Lenovo support, since R&R is a complicated piece of software and it would be beyond this forum's ability to help you in my opinion.

The program description states, (for the newest version) that the R&R program is capable of creating the full restoration image disc(s) which means, that when started in the DVD drive tray, and usually during the computer start-up, you can use the F11 key to start the full recovery....not back to the factory default settings...but rather, the backup image you created last if that is what you want to put back. I don't know where you would look in the R&R program exactly, to find how to create this type of restorable image, but the program is definitely capable of making a "bootable" disc that does the above....

This feature is there, in case of a hard drive failure, you can just install a new drive and reload the last complete image, Windows, docs, programs, as a full mirror copy of the previous hard drive.

Or, you can just wipe out and reload your last image backup, for any other reason, such as software corruption.

To function during system startup, and run from the disc image, there needs to be a "bootable" disk seen and R&R should make that for you.

I fully agree, what is the use of making a full disk image backup to the same hard drive....

But> you need to find out exactly how to create that type of disc, and I think Lenovo should be able to point you to that info.... I looked through quite a bit at the site but I did not go through the full user guide for R&R.

I don't think I'd accept just that one forum answer in this case...

Perhaps someone will stop by here who can help you

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice