1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo Edge2-1580 Laptop Windows 10 Does Not Charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vdaesety, Aug 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (Lenovo Edge 2-1580 Windows 10) and upon installation, it will not charge. When I plug the AC adapter in, the indicator switches between charging/not charging about once every second. When I disconnect the battery and rely on AC adapter power, the laptop works fine. I updated my drivers and installed Lenovo Energy Management software and the problem persists.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Return the new battery you purchased. It is either faulty or is not the correct battery for your Lenovo.

3. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

To be more specific, I bought a new motherboard for my laptop and the same issue occurred with the original battery. So I think it's an issue with the motherboard's hardware or software. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I assume this is the same computer in your other thread here that had liquid spilled on it ? What liquid was it ?

So you replaced the motherboard and the battery and the new battery won't charge ?

Does the old battery charge ?

5. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

Yes, this is the same computer and it was water. As of now, the keyboard/touchpad, motherboard, and battery are all replaced. The computer works normally on wired power but both the new and old battery exhibit the charging issue.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok. Does it still power on by itself with both batteries ?

Are you sure the flashing light is a bad sign or could it flash to indicate the battery is actually charging ?

7. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

No, all issues with the computer are resolved and it doesn’t power on spontaneously. Both the battery indicator light and the icon on the desktop cycle between charging/not charging and the battery drains normally. At this point, both batteries are below 10% so I know the batteries aren’t charging. I also updated my bios to the latest version as I’ve heard that it is responsible for some battery issues.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try leaving it charging overnight,or for about 8 hours.

9. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

I tried that and the battery has not charged. Should I look into returning the new motherboard and replacing it? Or is there some software energy management setting that I could look into?

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  11. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

Unfortunately, none of those solutions worked, so I will return the new motherboard and order a replacement

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's a shame. I hope getting another motherboard solves it for you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice