1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo - Flex 4 1470

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alicez, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Its more important to know what it is you are actually going to do with the machine

Graphics
    Video Editing
    Photo Editing
    Game playing

Document production
    Email
    Surfing

other?

Did you want a touch screen particularly
    the processor is for basic use - as it says in the spec
    and the graphics is basic again for "everday" use - see spec

3. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

I am a senior citizen and just want it for 'basic' web browsing, email, etc. No gaming, editing, etc.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should be fine for that usage
    check the screen size is ok
    A lot of my senior clients - dont like the small laptop screens
    Also will you really use the touch screen , and flip it around ??

5. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Thank you. I went ahead and bought the Lenovo - Flex 4 1470. It was marked $399.99, but when I signed in to my Best Buy page I got the member price of $329.99, which is what made me decide to buy it. Hopefully will not be too difficult for me learn. I believe they have McAfee AV installed. I thought it was better to have the MS10 AV (I think it is called Defender) enabled. I wonder if I should disable (uninstall) the McAfee AV and just run the MS10 AV program. And possible installing MalwareBytes (Free edition)?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm sure you will enjoy and pickup quickly

yes remove Mcafee , its only a trial version for x days - before you have to purchase

--------------------------------------------------------------
    If you are running the trial version of McAfee and have not paid for a subscription then you will need to uninstall the program and run the removal tool

Mcafee Removal Tool
    I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time or even a third time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of Mcafee from the PC

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I removed the McAfee using the following:
    Recommended Windows removal methods:
    Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/repair-or-remove-programs#v1h=tab01

#1- You said to run removal tool for a second time. Did you mean the above which I already used? I don't see McAfee any longer in the "Apps & features" and don't know how I could remove it again.
    I did download and use the MCPR.exe and ran that twice (after I did the removal using the above procedure), and each time it had me reboot. Do you think I did it correctly?

#2- Do I now have to turn on the Win10 AV and Firewall? How is that done please? Or is it done automatically after I removed the McAfee?
    -----------
    This is what it shows now:
    Network Firewall / Windows Firewall is actively protecting your PC - ON
    Virus protection / Windows Defender is helping to protect your PC - ON
    Spyware and unwanted software protection / Windows Defender is helping to protect your PC - ON
    Internet security settings OK
    User Account Control OK
    Windows Smart Screen ON
    Windows Defender ON

----------------
    #3- Can I install MalwareBytes and CCleaner?
    #4- How often do I run and update Defender definitions and how often for scan?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes , perfect

it should auto turn on
    which from your list it has

9. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

I think I might have been typing while you were answering. Did you see #3 and #4 in my last post?

Is the MS Defender AV and AS and Firewall all I need for security?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    missed 3 & 4

malwarebytes - yes and run frequently - i usually run after i have been on a lot of websites or once a weekish
    just depends on your usage

ccleaner - do not use the registry cleaner section - make sure that is all unticked - causes problems and normally does not fix anything

defender will update each day automatically

again , running is upto you - maybe once a month - but you will have it monitoring the system all the time

11. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I have learned so much, in such a short time, and would not have been able to do so without your kind help. When I installed the MB it asked me if I wanted to put the shortcut on the desktop. I said YES, and now it is on the desktop where it is on my Win7 and Vista PCs. Is there some way I can get the Defender (which looks the same as the MSE on my other PCs) shortcut on the desktop also?
    Oh, BTW, can I also install FF on this Win10. Is there a different FF for Win10? I looked at several places and they all seem to just say "download FF," but don't know if that would be for Win10 (64bit). I read this "Mozilla blasts Microsoft for making it harder to switch to Firefox in ..." and wonder if FF can be used with Win10

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  13. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Thank you. I opened Windows Defender and it shows Def created pm 12/10/2015. Could that be because I just installed it and haven't had it online that often as of yet?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes
    you can do an update

15. alicez

alicez Thread Starter

Thanks. I've started the update now and it is taking long (probably a lot to download)
    Boy, I'm keeping you busy. Sorry, but no one else to turn to.
    Is there a special version of FF for Win 10 / 64 bit that I have to download? So many different sites so far for downloading (32/64 bit, Win 8, 7, 10, etc.).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice