1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo G510: Harddrive Caddy not Recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SlothNation, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlothNation

SlothNation Thread Starter

Holla Amigos!

Long time reader, first time poster... You know how it is!
    I'm totally desperate...

I tried everything I can think of, yet my Caddy is still going crazy.

Specs:

Lenovo G510

Windows 7

i7 4700MQ

8GB Ram

AMD Radeon Graphics HD8750 M

1 TB SSHD

250 GB Samsung EVO SSD (currently in the caddy)

(the original build: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00FQLVHK0/ref=oh_aui_...)

Basically, the Laptop will no longer detect the SSD (or HDD, doesn't make a difference) placed
    in the caddy anymore. It never worked 100%, but for a long period of time it worked atleast most
    of the time. Every 5th boot or so, it wouldn't get recognised - which is why I never put the OS
    on the SSD, since it was to unreliable. Instead, I put my audio software, plugins and video caches
    onto the SSD (I know, that's not really the point... But I feel like it made some difference).
    For a few weeks now, no harddrive in the caddy whatsoever is recognised at all. Not in the Bios,
    not in the device manager and not in Windows' harddrive manager. This was more of a gradual
    thing, i got a bunch of blue screens durring the boot process (usually at the Windows 7 loading bar).

Occasionally, it will show up in the boot menu - but as soon as I actually boot, it will once again be undetectable.

The CD drive works just fine when I put it back in, so it can't be the SATA port.

I tried three different Caddys, so that can't be the problem either- unless the G510 needs a VERY SPECIAL caddy!

I tried two of these: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0088WOALW/ref=oh_aui_...

And one of these: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B012A9HOES/ref=twister_B01EAAX...

The only one i found that's specifically made for the G510 is this one, would that be worth a try?

I can't find a difference, except for it's higher price...

http://hddcaddy.com/en/lenovo-ibm-hdd-caddy/866-lenovo-...

As I've mentioned, it also doesn't make a difference what harddrive is in the caddy; same problem.

So it's not the SATA connection, it's not the drive, it's (probably) not the caddy... The BIOS is up to date, the CD drive is still recognised. I tried attaching thin layers of paper to the caddy, to slightly push the connections together; no success.

Is the CD drive's SATA connection on the G510 unable to handle other drives than the CD drive?

If I can find a permanent solution for this, I will put the OS on the SSD. Been wanting to do this for almost two years.

I really hope someone here can help me, I'm going insane.

Cheers, Jonas

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi Jonas and welcome to (posting in) TSG !

I wouldn't try another caddy. I have a similar one, they are all basically the same and just electrically connect the drive to the Sata connector on the back of the caddy (there are no active electronic parts in them).

Since changing the caddy and/or the drives inside them doesn't fix the problem I suspect the laptop itself is the culprit in some way. It could be a poor connection where the caddies connect to the Optical drive Sata port, the fact that it doesn't happen every time is an extra complication of course.

I would install a new Windows 7 OS onto the SSD but do it with only the SSD connected inside the laptop, no drive in a caddy, that way all the OS files will be on the SSD and you can simply swap the 1TB SSHD back in to the laptop to return to the original set up. Provided there is enough free space to install the OS you can leave the files already on the SSD in place and they will still be available if you put the SSD in a caddy again later, the programs on it should still work as well.

Doing the above may solve the problem if it's caused by using an SSD in a caddy on your particular laptop.

3. SlothNation

SlothNation Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your quick answer, Allan!

Right now i'm leaning towards buying that stupid last caddy, and to just send it
    back if there's no improvements. Not too much to lose that way, and atleast I wont
    eternally hate myself for not trying (even though I also believe it won't change anything).

I guess if that doesn't work, I will do what you proposed. Worst case the SSHD won't be recognized,
    then I could "simply" duck-tape an external HDD to my Laptop and hook it up to the USB3 ports.
    Maybe it will even fit into the CD drive slot...... :D

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you could get a refund on that other caddy then I agree it's worth a try.

If nothing helps you could use the SSD inside the laptop for the OS and put the SSHD into a Usb 3.0 external caddy, or use a Sata to Usb 3.0 adapter cable with it.

Hopefully you won't need to do that though. Good luck with it and please let me know how it goes.

5. shipka989

shipka989

Hey Jonas! I have basically the same laptop, and I was planning to install caddy also. Did you solve your problem yet? Hows the situation right now?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice