1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lenovo ideapad z580 model type 2151. laptop powers on, scree

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thomascassidy69, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thomascassidy69

thomascassidy69 Thread Starter

heya i dont know if anyone has had this problem or whether anyone is able to help but i have a lenovo ideapad z580 model type 2151 core i5 3210m laptop that powers on, fan spins, led lights come on and screen lights up but nothing is displayed, no lenovo logo, no access to bios, nothing. if i use the nova key the blue menu pops up in the middle of the screen but if any of the options are selected the menu disappears and screen stays blank.

i have tried connecting to an external monitor and get nothing, i have reseated ram, swapped ram slots, reseated hard drive. tried it without a hard drive, taken out the cmos battery, taken out the battery and held down the power button for 60 seconds, tried it on just the ac adaptor, unplugged all peripherals i.e dvd drive, wifi card ect.

if i press ctrl alt delete computer restarts but still the blank screen, ive seen many posts and forums that describe a display that black as in doesnt turn on but mine is on, i can see the light switch on when i press the power button.

any help anyone could give me would be grately appreciated.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello thomascassidy69,

Not even getting a BIOS screen may suggest that the CPU has issues as the processor also provides the graphics.

When you tried the external display did you use any hot keys such as Fn + F7 or Win+P.

When working correctly did the computer normally give out a single beep once the POST had completed.

3. thomascassidy69

yes when I connected it to an external monitor, I used the fn + f3 keys, I did double to check with this laptop models hardware manual to see if these were the right keys and it says they are. the laptop has never beeped before on start up. my friend has a POST CARD which he said might help but am unsure if It will.

thank you for your reply any help I can get would be really appreciated

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

Looks like you may need to get the notebook checked by a local tech as you have done all of the things that you can yourself already.

Why I asked about the single beep, bad RAM can sometimes cause the loss of display and what we often do is remove the RAM and power up the computer to see if any error beeps are heard, on a computer that has an onboard BIOS speaker, if error beeps are heard with the RAM removed it suggests that the RAM and memory slots are ok and that the problem is after the RAM has been checked as part of the POST, the graphics device is normally checked next and no display would suggest that the graphics device was bad, no beeps with the RAM removed on a computer that has an onboard BIOS speaker suggests that the problem is before the RAM is checked and the culprit normally the power supply or the MB.

5. thomascassidy69

thank you for your help and quick reply. I don't believe the motherboard on this model has an in built speaker but I have just removed the RAM completely and the when the laptop is powered on the screen doesn't come on. however I put the RAM back in the laptop turn it on and on comes the screen its just the same blank screen. so based on what you have said above it it more likely the cpu with intergrated graphics that is the problem and would a POST card help narrow this down at all.

thank you for your help I appreciate it

6. phillpower2

phillpower2

They can be hit and miss depending on the quality of the device but if you have the USB type then please do give it a try.

Do you have access to another computer that has an internet connection and a CD/DVD burner or internet + a blank USB thumb drive, this so you could download a Linux distro to try on the notebook.

You are welcome btw :)

7. thomascassidy69

yes I'm using my desktop pc, the laptop is for portability. I do have both cd/dvd burner and USB thumb drive. I will be honest so please bare with me I'm not to sure what Linux distro is as I have never used Linux before only windows, would I need a clean formatted hard drive for this and what version would I need.. would you be as kind as to explain what I would need to do.

you have been very helpful, thank you.

8. phillpower2

phillpower2

One of the tools that I use for data recovery among other things is called Puppy Linux, Puppy uses the system RAM to boot from and so does not need any installation, I will provide all the information that you need just let me know if you would like to try the diagnostic card first.

9. thomascassidy69

I wont be able to get the POST card from my friend for a few days so wouldn't mind following what you have in mind if your willing to spend the time explaining what I need to do.

thank you again for your help

10. phillpower2

phillpower2

No rush with this as I am going offline now as I have an early start in the morning;

The disk version would be best for you as you cannot get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence to USB device first.

===================

***Required Hardware***

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,

Blank CD,

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
    • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; /
      • Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
      • Extract All files to a location you can remember
      • Double Click [​IMG] BurnCDCC
      • Click Browse [​IMG] and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
      • Open/Double Click that file

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
      • Click Start [​IMG]
      • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
      • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
      • Click OK
      Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

• Start the computer/press the power button
      • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
      • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
      • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
      • Press F10 to save and exit
      • Agree with "Y" to continue
      • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

[​IMG]

3. Recover Your Data

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
      • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. [​IMG]
      • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
      • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
      • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
      • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.

3b. Transfer Files.
      • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
      • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
      • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
      • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
      • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.

For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

[​IMG]

11. thomascassidy69

I know you said no rush so I don't expect a reply straight away but I followed your instructions but I had to create a bootable thumb drive as I only have single sided cods which only hold 700mb. I followed the instructions to the letter and when I turned on the laptop with the sub drive connected a white box comes up in the middle of the screen and says 'secure boot - image failed to verify with *access denied* Press any key to continue' I hit enter and back to blank screen. I power on the laptop with the nova button and when the menu appeared I selected boot menu and the same message appeared.

what is curious though is when I plug in my usb thumb drive with my windows 10 iso image on, nothing comes up no error message just the same blank screen.

I have never seen a problem like this before I do hope this doesn't stump you as well

once again thank you for all your help.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Just a quick post to tell you that Puppy ISO will fit onto a CD if you want to try that, it's only about 130 MB.

13. thomascassidy69

thank you, I realised when I put it on sub that It was quite small. unfortunately neither usb or cd work in this case. I did use another laptop to check that I had burn the iso images correctly and both usb and cd booted up exactly how they are meant to.

I have a few thoughts on the situation I realised if the comes battery is removed or even if its securely popped in its holder the computer still turns on exactly the same. the cmos battery has been replaced with a brand new one even though the new one was putting out 2.95 volts. could this issue be related to a faulty cmos holder at all.

thank you for your reply, any help I get will be greatly appreciated

14. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You said you got the secure boot failure message when you were trying the Linux boot which indicates the screen is working (very strange!).
    What happens if you press the F2 key like a madman starting about two seconds after you turn it on?
    It should go into the BIOS and you should be able to see it.

15. thomascassidy69

sorry I should of said I rushed the installation and actually downloaded the Linux distro tails iso and that's why I got the secure boot message in the white box. however when I downloaded and put puppy lupu on usb and cd nothing appeared on the screen, when the cd was in I could hear it spinning as if it was working normally but nothing appeared on the screen how its meant to. the screen works, I get the nova menu come up fine but when I select any of the four options the menu disappears and back to that blank screen. pressing f2 as if my life depends on it doesn't seem to work. its difficult to describe the how the screen is on but blank but if you put a new cmos battery in a laptop after powering it on you get a blank screen while it does its thing for a few seconds before you get the message in the left hand corner stating time and date incorrect. well its that same blank screen just without any writing no matter how long its on for. like I said above the screen is the same whether the cmos battery is in or not that why I asked whether it could be down to a faulty cmos clip holder.

I hope I haven't waffled on to much and thank you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice