Lenovo Laptop Win 10 - Can't connect to Xfinity Wifi hotspot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mcvang0250

My new Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro Laptop has Windows 10 pre-installed on there. I'm able to connect to regular wifi connections (like my home network), but it will not connect to Xfinity WiFi hotspots. I'll see the Xfinity hotspot available (but with a little 'exclamation point' shield symbol next to it), I'll click on "Connect" and it will think for a few seconds, then say "Can't connect to this network".

It doesn't send me to the webrowser log-in, it doesn't say "limited connectivity" or anything else that I'm used to dealing with. I've tried opening up a generic web browser to try to initiate the username and password sign in page, and nothing happens.

I've cleared my cache, restarted my laptop, removed known networks, added them, called both Xfinity and Lenovo, and both say it's the other's fault.

The conclusion I've come to is either somehow my wireless network adapter is not configured correctly to allow this hotspot to work, or somehow my antivirus firewall is blocking it (but I've disabled my McAfee firewall and this still doesn't work).

Is there a different wireless network adapter, or driver, or something that I should install? Is there a configuration I should set?

Please help!

plodr

Liz
In order to connect to a Wifi Xfinity hotspot when you are away from home, you need to login using your Comcast credentials.

If you aren't getting a prompt to log on, perhaps a popup blocker is suppressing this box.

I haven't tried this in Windows; I've only tried on my Android tablet and I didn't have my info with me because I never use my Comcast email so I got stalled at the login page.

I found this walk through for Windows 10. See if it helps
https://wifi.xfinity.com/connect-devices.php

Hey there, I don't have an answer but I'm in the same boat as you and need the same question answered. I've tried pretty much the same troubleshooting steps that you have with no success. Xfinitywifi is a P EAP network and is similar to something that you might find in a hotel where you SHOULD be prompted by your browser to enter additional login info to gain access to the network. The strange thing is, some of the devices I have will prompt and allow me to connect while others don't.

Here's some of the devices I have that can connect:

* Dell xps 15 with Windows 7 and an Intel wifi link 1000 bgn network card
*Lumia 640 phone

The ones that don't work:

* Nearly identical Dell xps 15 with Windows 7 but an Intel centrino N6230 network card
*Lenovo ThinkPad E420 with Windows 7 and realtek 1x1 mini PCI card
* LG g2 phone

Can't understand the reason behind this problem. I'm waiting for Comcast to install cable in my house and was hoping this could connect all my devices in the meantime but I guess not. Hope there's an answer. Good luck!

Before I go to bed, I had a thought (yeah it’s my day off so I have nothing else to think about). What you might want to try is bringing your laptop somewhere else where Xfinity wifi hotspots are available. They’re all around my town. Since the hotspots are literally just other Comcast user’s routers with dual wifi channels (1 reserved for the customer & 1 reserved for public use), maybe your laptop can only connect to certain routers. I think I recall the g2 phone connecting to an xfinity hotspot somewhere else but just not the one near my house. And to be clear, all of the listed devices in my other post always work with other P EAP networks (airport, school, mcdonalds) as well as conventional home wifi. Just not with the Xfinity wifi for whatever reason.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online