Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cw2456

Hi! This is going to be really long, but it’s urgent and I could really use some help.

So I own a Lenovo C40/C50 Series All-in-one desktop, and I’ve had it since 2015-2016 (I can’t remember the exact year). The computer was mostly fine and I didn’t many issues until around October 2018. At this time, the new Windows 10 update was coming out (I did not know of this at the time), and apparently it had many problems. I believe that this update might have something to do with my computer now being mostly dysfunctional.

One morning during that October, I turned on my computer and received the Lenovo logo as usual, but there was no login screen. Instead, I was presented with a blank black screen that I couldn’t fix no matter what I did. I called Lenovo’s phone support, and I found that I could access the BIOS menu still, but that was it. The tech support guy sent me SIX Lenovo “Operating System Recovery Discs” and told me to call back later. I received the discs a few days later through the mail and I called back. However, my internal disc drive wasn’t working, so he told me to get an external disc drive. I was upset to say the least, so I gave up. I had a work issued laptop anyway, so the loss of the computer didn’t impact me and my family much, but I was still frustrated that I couldn’t recover the operating system at all.

The reason I am concerned about my desktop now (and I am determined to fix it as well) is because my kids could really benefit from having access to this computer for school work. They are using my laptop for now, but I’d love to give them a computer of their own, and I think this one is still fixable.

I have the external disc drive I need, and I have all six recovery discs still. Can anyone get in contact with me and try to help me with recovering my computer? I’m available all day today to chat live with you about it, but I don’t know the next time I’ll be able to get back to this, so I’d like to fix it today. Thank you!

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Unfortunately we do not offer outside 1-1 support.

The external USB CD player can be used, proving that your computer can boot from a USB drive.

I am not sure which button it is, but typically F12 is the button you need to press after you power on the machine, and it should give you an option to boot from a USB device. You would need to make sure you have a CD in the drive to boot from.

cw2456

Unfortunately we do not offer outside 1-1 support.

The external USB CD player can be used, proving that your computer can boot from a USB drive.

I am not sure which button it is, but typically F12 is the button you need to press after you power on the machine, and it should give you an option to boot from a USB device. You would need to make sure you have a CD in the drive to boot from.
I did do this, what do I next?

And it’s perfectly okay that one on one isn’t available.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would suggest going back to the vendor to see if they will still continue the support case now you have the external drive.

However, let's review the issue with the computer

You see the Lenovo splash screen, and you are able into the BIOS, so the screen is working.
Once you pass that point, you have a blank/black screen with no Windows 10 startup logo?

Have you tried going to Safe Mode?

cw2456

I would suggest going back to the vendor to see if they will still continue the support case now you have the external drive.

However, let's review the issue with the computer

You see the Lenovo splash screen, and you are able into the BIOS, so the screen is working.
Once you pass that point, you have a blank/black screen with no Windows 10 startup logo?

Have you tried going to Safe Mode?
Yep blank/black screen. How would I go to safe mode?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ahh... then I suspect then someone has turned on the Power-on password in the BIOS, and I suspect it will go blank/black because there is no input detected (like a time out).

Are you aware of anyone turning on the power on password ?

cw2456

Ahh... then I suspect then someone has turned on the Power-on password in the BIOS, and I suspect it will go blank/black because there is no input detected (like a time out).

Are you aware of anyone turning on the power on password ?
Yes, my husband did somehow when he was looking at the computer last week. He doesn’t know how to work computers though, so I got the password from him and decided to fix the computer myself. So now I have the password and I can enter it and get to the blank screen, but why is there no input is detected?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see, I figured you were leaving the password screen alone hence the 'no input' i mentioned, as in you are not typing anything. You can turn this off in the BIOS section.

So at this point, I assume the Lenovo tech was going to get you to do a System Restore, which is to wipe the computer and start fresh, yes? If so, then I would recommend using the Media Creation Tool rather than the System Restore disk they sent. That way you don't install all the unnecessary programs that the computer had came with. We have a post about it here: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377/

If you still want to use the discs they sent, there should be one for System Restore / Recovery. Have that one in the external drive and start the computer up, then keep pressing F12 to get the boot menu. Choose the option for USB ... it should start the CD and may require to press something to Boot from CD/DVD. Follow the prompts. Contact Lenovo for further assistance if you are still having trouble with their CDs.

cw2456

I see, I figured you were leaving the password screen alone hence the 'no input' i mentioned, as in you are not typing anything. You can turn this off in the BIOS section.

So at this point, I assume the Lenovo tech was going to get you to do a System Restore, which is to wipe the computer and start fresh, yes? If so, then I would recommend using the Media Creation Tool rather than the System Restore disk they sent. That way you don't install all the unnecessary programs that the computer had came with. We have a post about it here: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doing-a-completely-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10.1235377/

If you still want to use the discs they sent, there should be one for System Restore / Recovery. Have that one in the external drive and start the computer up, then keep pressing F12 to get the boot menu. Choose the option for USB ... it should start the CD and may require to press something to Boot from CD/DVD. Follow the prompts. Contact Lenovo for further assistance if you are still having trouble with their CDs.
I pulled up the boot menu and chose the correct option, but there are no prompts. Only another blank screen. I’m so sorry I keep bothering you about this haha.

I would like not to use the CDs anymore because there is something not right. If I use the Media Creation Tool, would I need another computer, or could I use my phone?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online