1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo slow on network; all other devices at normal speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fourthpost, Aug 2, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. fourthpost

fourthpost Thread Starter

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga circa 2014 (type 20C0S19700)
    Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Beginning yesterday morning, my laptop has been connecting to our home network at stunningly slow speeds (always sub-1Mbps, usually more like 0.1Mbps).

This is in 'normal' mode; when I start in safe mode with networking I test at normal speed (4Mbps down and up- we live in Costa Rica, where this is considered good!).

My wife's Lenovo laptop and our Android phones are consistently connecting at the usual 4Mbps down and up.

I uninstalled Intel Proset Wireless software- no change
    ...Ran scans with updated versions of Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware- no change.
    Then removed all 3- no change.
    Ran an offline scan with Windows Defender- no change.

I updated some drivers last night because I was also having trouble connecting to an external display, and after doing so, the speed was normal for a short while. As of this morning and for the past 4+ hours it's back to super slow.

Ethernet connection is slightly better but still far slower than all other devices on the network.

I'm stumped.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    THIS is the most current Windows 10 64-bit driver (21.10.1 - 18.33.17.1) for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 device.

Note: Click the top-most blue box.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. fourthpost

Thank you. I reinstalled that driver but no difference.

Just flushed DNS and restarted everything too; no luck there

0.13 Mbps download | 0.14 Mbps upload | latency 2339 ms

Update: I connected via ethernet and shut wifi off, and am now testing at normal speed. Does this point to a problem with the network card? Or software?

What's not in play when I'm connected via ethernet (in 'normal' mode) and wirelessly in safe mode?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. vinothjose

vinothjose

5. fourthpost

Thanks, I have done that multiple times.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice