1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo T400 fails to connect to most game servers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chico_Curro, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chico_Curro

Chico_Curro Thread Starter

A few things I can rule out here..

1. It's not the firewall: I've disabled the firewall through firewall.cpl
      It's not the internet connection: I use the same cable as my other PC which works fine
      It's not the antivirus software: I've done an uninstall of that.

A few things that could be useful

1. The servers I'm trying to connect to will connect with my second PC with the same internet connection
      It won't connect to most MMOs (Starcraft: GE, San Andreas Multiplayer servers, Second life) but for some reason connected to Fallen Earth
      A few San Andreas Multiplayer servers actually do connect, about 5 out of 1000, seemingly at random each refresh.
      I recently had the Alureon.h rootkit trojan which I removed with TDS killer
      Microsoft Forefront Client Security was my old antivirus. For some reason it wouldn't let me allow any programmes or change settings. It claimed I wasn't the administrator when I was. I've since uninstalled it.
    It's a lenovo T400 laptop I purchased second hand. It was installed for me. Here are the specs if they're useful (DxDiag)
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 6/13/2010, 22:38:28
    Machine name: JNJ-54BFABD230E
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 2768BN3
    BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLX
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2026MB RAM
    Page File: 760MB used, 1877MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

The only thing I can think of right now is there may be some network driver I'm missing. Any assistance? I haven't tried a complete format + reinstall. That's my final resort and I dunno how much good it would do.

We're using a Bebox wireless router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!