1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo T61 Thinkpad issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb1978march, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisb1978march

chrisb1978march Thread Starter

Good afternoon all,

I'm trying to help a friend out with the above laptop. The issue he has is that when he powers it on, it loads all the way through to the desktop screen, but he's left with a black screen and cursor.

Everything else up to that point works, he gets the Windows 7 loading screen, when it has gone to the black screen - pressing ctrl, Alt and Delete brings up task manager etc, as it should do, but there's just nothing displayed for the desktop.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for? I'd have thought it would be a screen problem, but as I said everything else works normally.

Incidentally, booting into safe mode, it does the same thing. You get the white text in the 4 corners saying 'safe mode' and also the current build of windows text.

Thanks in advance

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Since that laptop is 6 years old and i had that model years ago it might be either the hard drive or the motherboard that has problems.have it checked out so that you will know for sure and go from there.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually I'd be looking at a software issue first.

4. chrisb1978march

chrisb1978march Thread Starter

As in like a driver issue? I just thought it was odd how it would load and display the windows 7 login screen but then just be a black screen on the desktop. But as I said ctrl , alt and delete would bring up the track manager.

I have taken his hard drive out and will see if it boots on my desktop when I get chance.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds more and more like a software issue, ie. driver problem, service problem, malware, corrupt Windows files, etc. Possibly a hard drive issue, maybe bad sectors.
    Definitely not a screen problem if you see the cursor and Task Manager come up.

The drive will only boot if the chipset and SATA mode are the same.

You can test the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostics, try the Ultimate Boot CD as it has all the manufacturer's diagnostics on there.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice