Lenovo Thinkpad E490s Randomly freezing

jack01994

Hey, so lately my ThinkPad has been having this ongoing problem where if I stop using it for a few minutes and leave the screen up it I will go to use it and it will be frozen. There's been a few times as well where I've put it down then picked it up again after only a minute and the screen flickers then it will freeze. I also watched the screen go black and suddenly freeze the other day.

I have a few ideas of what it could be ( CPU, motherboard, loose cable) but sadly I've so far not managed to get any of these to fail during the test.

I've so far done a hardware test in Lenovo vantage as well as diagnostics tests as well as booting to safe mood to see if the freezing still happens.

The major problem is that the freezing is happening randomly and very suddenly. So there's no guarantee that when ever a test is run anything will be picked up.

Has anyone got any ideas? Or any better ways of diagnosing it? To be honest I'm seriously thinking about sending it to Lenovo lol!

Just a small edit: I did do a little googling on this the other day and discovered it might be an issue to do with the graphics card. So I uninstalled it restarted but it kept happening. I don't think the uninstall worked though. Is there a better way to go about this so I can see if it fixes it?

Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210423155347.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 12, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) 540X
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (174 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 20NGCTO1WW, ver SDK0J40697 WIN, s/n L1HF98N010Y
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 2F0, s/n PF1YY629
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Last edited:
Hey, so lately my ThinkPad has been having this ongoing problem where if I stop using it for a few minutes and leave the screen up it I will go to use it and it will be frozen. There's been a few times as well where I've put it down then picked it up again after only a minute and the screen flickers then it will freeze. I also watched the screen go black and suddenly freeze the other day.

I have a few ideas of what it could be ( CPU, motherboard, loose cable) but sadly I've so far not managed to get any of these to fail during the test.

I've so far done a hardware test in Lenovo vantage as well as diagnostics tests as well as booting to safe mood to see if the freezing still happens.

The major problem is that the freezing is happening randomly and very suddenly. So there's no guarantee that when ever a test is run anything will be picked up.

Has anyone got any ideas? Or any better ways of diagnosing it? To be honest I'm seriously thinking about sending it to Lenovo lol!

Just a small edit: I did do a little googling on this the other day and discovered it might be an issue to do with the graphics card. So I uninstalled it restarted but it kept happening. I don't think the uninstall worked though. Is there a better way to go about this so I can see if it fixes it?

Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210423155347.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 12, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) 540X
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (174 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 20NGCTO1WW, ver SDK0J40697 WIN, s/n L1HF98N010Y
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 2F0, s/n PF1YY629
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
This may be happening due to a graphics sriver-like image and other images graphics card issue. The graphics card needs to be updated. By updating the graphics driver, the graphics issue should be resolved. If it is not resolved by updating the graphics card, call or email Lenovo Support. They should be able to assist you at that pint.

jack01994

This may be happening due to a graphics sriver-like image and other images graphics card issue. The graphics card needs to be updated. By updating the graphics driver, the graphics issue should be resolved. If it is not resolved by updating the graphics card, call or email Lenovo Support. They should be able to assist you at that pint.
Looks like this may be working so far. Now I just have to work out how to remove all the striped screws so I can replace the back cover.

jack01994

5 ways to remove stripped screws
https://www.artofmanliness.com/skills/manly-know-how/how-to-remove-a-stripped-screw/
and no, I'm not a guy but I have faced this problem.
I think they're going to have to be extracted. The damage to the screw heads is pretty bad. The problem with doing this though is that the screws are embedded in the case if that makes sense and there locking screws. They're pretty much clipped into the case. So unless I tried the liquid friction method and it surprisingly works this would mean a new back cover.

jack01994

Looks like doing this may have put out when my laptop is meant to go to sleep. It's set for 1hr on power and on battery and it's now only going for 20 mins. I changed the setting then changed it back to see what happens.

jack01994

Ok. Just an update on this. I did the graphics card update which appeared to fix it. it worked fine with no freezing for almost 3 weeks then last night it randomly blue screened. Then froze up again this morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online