1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo Thinkpad W500 battery problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coco767, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Hello again, I know I haven't posted in a while, but I have a computer problem. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W500 running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I recently cleaned out the hard drive. I reinstalled the operating system and last night, the battery charged 100%, and a few hours ago, when I plugged the charging charging cord into the computer and turned the computer on, and the computer said the battery was at 5% charge, plugged in but not charging. (P.S. I installed the itunes 64 setup file to set itunes back up again.) The computer said that there were problems with the battery and I should consider getting a new battery. The charging cord is plugged into the computer, and I intend to have the charging cord plugged into the computer overnight. Should I? And what site or store should I go to to get a new battery? Do I need a new charging cord? Or is there is a way to solve it without getting a new charging cord ot battery? Any help would be greatly appeeciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Batteries wear out over time and also fail. The W500 is an older laptop so it would make sense the battery has worn out.

There are many places you can buy batteries, Amazon, eBay, or one of hundreds of battery re-sellers. Some batteries are definitely better than others. I buy almost all my batteries from http://www.battdepot.com/

You can also likely get several capacities for the Lenovo W500 laptop that will give you varying battery run times. The larger the capacity the longer the laptop will last on battery power but large capacity batteries also weigh a bit more and may also be physically bigger and protrude out the back or bottom of the laptop.

3. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Can you tell me the lenovo site where you can get batteries? You know, lenovo's official site?

4. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Oh, one more thing, could somebody secd me a picture of where the battery is on a Lenovo Thinkpad W500? Because I want to try to remove the battery and put it back in, to see if that works, but i'm scared to because what if I think is the battery is acutually not? Is the battery internal or external? I doubt it will, but I want to burn some CD-Rs. Is it advisable to take the battery out and put it back in? Even if it doesn't work, I still want to try it.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Thank you. That was very helpful. If I try taking the battery out and putting it back in, I will try to tell you the results. Also, can I try starting it without a battery with the charging cord plugged into the conputer? Is that advisable? Sorry if I am bothering you.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, you can use your laptop without a battery if it's plugged in.

8. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Thank you. I planned to burn some CD-Rs for someone as a Christmas present, so you have been very helpful.

9. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

Uhhh...... Any more sites where I cam find a battery? Just in case.

10. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. Coco767

Coco767 Thread Starter

I searched the brand Lenovo. Am checking out site again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice