1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo Thinkstation Network Expansion Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bernard.seymour, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bernard.seymour

bernard.seymour Thread Starter

Greeting All,

Happy holidays!

I apologize in advance for any incorrect terminology, but I will do my best.

I need help finding the correct Ethernet (PCIE) Network Expansion Card for my Lenovo Thinkstation desktop.

The pc info is: (Windows 10)
    Lenovo PC.jpg

Lenovo PC4.jpg

Lenovo PC5.JPG

I have already purchased two expansion cards with the assistance of two different technicians. One from Fry's and the other was an on-site tech from Stratasys. Either I am trying to place the card in the wrong slot, or they have instructed me incorrectly.

First please tell me if I am using the correct slot. I think the card should fit in slot 3, because our last pc had the card in slot 3(different pc, so old card does not fit the new pc). Here is a couple photos, and please also reference the spec sheet above if necessary. Slot 1 has the display port connectors.

Lenovo PC3.jpg
    Lenovo PC2_LI.jpg (Notice the female slot on 3 has only two insertion places and not the required three that are required for the Fry's card that I have pictured below.)

Here is an image of what the Fry's tech support told me would work, and it does not fit:

Expansion Card.JPG
    Expansion Card1.JPG (The card must have an Ethernet port like the one in this image.)

We will use the expansion card to transfer data between this new Lenovo PC and our 3D printer. There is not any particular required transfer rate. So if you would please give me on card at 1000 mbps and another at 1500 mbps or 2000 mbps. not sure if that even exists, just something faster than the base 1000 mbps but not too much more expensive, please.

I hope this is enough info. And I appreciate anyone who is able to help. You guys are awesome!

Thanks.

B

Attached Files:

2. bernard.seymour

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You have a Lenovo ThinkStation p520c desktop.

Its motherboard has PCIe x4 and PCIe x8 and PCIe x16 expansion slots.

The D-Link ethernet card you have is an old model which uses an old technology PCI expansion slot.

It will not fit in any of the expansions slots in your desktop.

Hopefully, you haven't tried to force it into and damaged any of the expansion slots.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. bernard.seymour

Thanks flavallee! This morning I did some more research and discovered that Slot 3 is a PCIe X16. Can you look at the pic of my motherboard and identify slot 2 & 4 for me please. Also, my research indicated that I am also able to insert a PCIe X1, PCIe X4, and PCIe X8 all into the PCIe X16 slot and they will work. Is that correct?

I found this on Micro center:
    PCIe X1.JPG
    PCIe X1-2.JPG
    I hope that this one is correct.

Thanks Again!

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That ethernet card appears to be a PCIe x1 model.

I am not familiar with PCIe x4 and PCIe x8 expansion slots, so I can't confirm if that ethernet card will fit and work in either one.

The PCIe x16 expansion slot is normally used for installing a graphic card.

I recently had eye surgery and don't have sharp vision yet, so I can't read the writing on the motherboard in your image.

If you shine a light and/or use a magnifying glass, you should be able to see which expansion slot is which number.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. bernard.seymour

Thanks for all your help!

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

I did some further researching, and it looks like a PCIe x1 ethernet card will work in a PCIe x4 expansion slot. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. bernard.seymour

Oh yeah. I will confirm that. Based on what I am seeing, Slot 1 = PCIe X8, Slot 2 = PCIe X16, Slot 3 = PCIe X4. Alright, I learned a ton from this.

Here is the description on Micro Center's website for that PCIe X1 card:
    PCIe X1-3.JPG

So it will fit! AWESOME!

Take care brother!

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice