Solved Lenovo upgrade

MandoLinda

When I purchased this desktop, I did not know it was a bottom-of-the-line computer. Is it possible to upgrade? Here's the specs:

MTM: 90DQ004HUS
S/N: R3034FKS
CPU: INTEL CELERON J3060 1.6GHz
RAM: 4G

Thanks for any help/advise!

It is possible to upgrade, but it depends how much resources you would want to commit. The PC only has one RAM slot, which is occupied currently by a 4GB DIMM. Even at that, the maximum RAM supported by the motherboard is only 8GB, which would mean you'd have to purchase an 8GB DIMM and replace the 4GB DIMM.

Another option would be to replace the hard drive with a solid-state drive (SSD), since this would likely yield greater read/write speeds than the current hard drive. However, it all depends what you use the PC for primarily. The CPU is definitely a bottom-end product, so you'd have to decide whether or not it was worth your time and money adding these components to this system.

MandoLinda

Thanks for the reply. Since I only paid $225 at Fry's, I might be better off getting another PC. Maybe a used or refurbished. I am recently retired so I don't need it for work anymore. Mainly email, web surfing, and (the wife) shopping. Would replacing just the CPU help?

thanks again!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You have THIS Lenovo IdeaCentre 300S-11lBR Type 90DQ Model 004HUS Desktop PC which was purchased in November 2016.
All types and models of the 300S-11lBR appear to come with an Intel Celeron model processor.
It does not appear to be upgradeable to a faster and more powerful Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor.

--------------------------------------------------

MandoLinda

Thanks Frank! I guess I'll donate this one and go shopping. I'll definitely ask more questions and not just look at the price...

Mando out

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome. :)

Unless you're insistent on purchasing a new desktop, you should consider purchasing a refurbished desktop.
Besides saving money, they don't come with all the "bloatware" that new ones do.
I've purchased nothing but refurbished since 2011. (y)

If you live in the U.S., here is a good place to start.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=4016 100019096&isdeptsrh=1
I'm partial to Dell, so I can't comment on Lenovo.

MandoLinda

we live in sunny southern Calif. thanks for the recommendation - I'll check them out.

thanks!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Stay away from the Intel Celeron processor ones and select one of the Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor ones.
Newegg gives you plenty of options to choose from.
Good luck. (y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts