1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lenovo Y400 - wifi adapter keeps freezing/dying randomly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by astralyte, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

Hi all!

This is my first time posting here, and I tried to look through some of the past threads but none of them were quite like the problem I've been having. Here are the specs for my laptop which was purchased just earlier this month, first off:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8139 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 905399 MB, Free - 728285 MB; D: Total - 25599 MB, Free - 23141 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, INVALID
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

The problem I've been having is this: Lately, for the past 2-3 days or so, my wifi adapter would suddenly die-- meaning I can't connect to my home router or anyone else's, and when I try to use Windows' "Troubleshoot problems" feature, it would always get stuck at either "looking for problems with connectivity" or "resetting your wifi adapter". When I try to go into the advance settings to manually disable/enable my wifi adapter for myself, it would never actually work. When I try to click on the icon in the system tray, nothing would happen and it wouldn't pop up with the list of available networks like usual.

At this point, the only thing I can do is restart or shut down my laptop, but sometimes even that doesn't go through successfully and the system gets stuck on the "restarting" screen for a very long time until I shut it down by holding down the power button. One time, it even gave me the BSOD with "driver_power_state_failure" given as the reason. I've tried scanning with AVG and Malwarebytes, but they didn't find anything wrong.

I guess my question is what might be causing this? Is this a matter of hardware issue or simple driver issues? Any advice or direction would be wonderful, thank you in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you have a connection and when the adapater "dies" ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

Thank you for replying!

I had to restart about 5-7 times yesterday because of the same issue, but it's been doing okay so far today. I already made a screenshot of Wifi Inspector and compiled a text file of how things look when I have a connection, and I will be posting them up with the comparison files when my adapter dies again.

I forgot to add that it connects with no problems once I restart, only to drop out at very random times regardless of whether I'm surfing the net, chatting with someone on Skype, or even when I'm not in the room. However, it's not an issue with the router itself because I can access the network just fine on my iPod touch each time it happens on my laptop.

4. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

Okay, it died just now while I was sorting music in my iTunes library-- I was doing nothing that required an internet connection. I tried to load Wifi Inspector when it happened, but it got stuck on the loading screen at "Searching for adapters" so I capped that instead. I also included text files of my IP config details.

Thank you so much for looking into this!

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the PC manufacturer's web site.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

6. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

Hmm, it was the McAfee security suite trial version, which I uninstalled and also used their official removal tool to get rid of everything.

I'll go and take a look at the wireless drivers now though, I'll let you know how that goes!

7. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

Okay, so there were two drivers listed under Networking: Wireless LAN on Lenovo's support site for driver downloads:

#1. WLAN Driver (Liteon, CyberTan) for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Y400, Y500
    #2. Intel WiMax Driver for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Y400, Y500

Neither of them installed properly, however, and these are the messages I got for them:

#1. No appropriate driver to be installed.
    #2. This setup program installs software for the Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 or Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 adapter, but no WiMAX adapter was detected on your computer. Do you want to continue anyway?

What should I do now?

EDIT: I went ahead and installed the Intel one anyway, but even though it installed fine it tells me that the WiMAX adapter is missing.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Strange that they do not have a driver for your adapter.

If the wireless card is easily accessible through a cover on the bottom of the laptop remove and carefully and firmly reinsert the card several times to fix any potential looseness or corrosion problem. Make sure the antenna leads are secure.

9. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

I took a picture of the bottom of the laptop, but it doesn't seem like the wireless card would be easily accessible for me:

http://i.imgur.com/OOZ8bQo.jpg

Would it be possible to find a driver for my wireless adapter elsewhere? I did a quick search on Google and found this site, but I'm not sure if any of those are right for me:

http://www.driveridentifier.com/sca...ware_id=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_42628086

(as an aside, I have already restarted three times tonight because of the adapter problem!)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You could try the adapter directly from Intel's web site. With some of their newer adapters I recommend trying that anyhow if the "correct" one from the laptop manufacturer doesn't work right.

11. astralyte

astralyte Thread Starter

Hmm, I installed the latest driver for my adapter and it seemed to work okay last night, but my adapter died twice again tonight. Granted, that's a vast improvement from the number of times I had to restart the past few days, but still... I guess it's either put up with it or contact Lenovo about the problem.

Thanks for all your help though!

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Sorry we haven't been able to bring this to a satisfactory conclusion.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice