1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved lenovo y50 battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ricardo456, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ricardo456

ricardo456 Thread Starter

just wondering if i could remove the battery it has and raplace for a better one

it is a lenovo y50 with a gtx960m

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Probably not, you have to dismantle the laptop somewhat to get to the battery :-

Plus not sure Lenovo even make a 'better' battery. I assume you meant a higher capacity battery ?

3. ricardo456

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It says it is.

Take particular note of the advice about conditioning any new battery. It IS very important.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    As Dave said it should work ok.

Seems quite expensive though, I would look on Ebay to see the prices there.

6. DaveBurnett

But DO be careful what you buy from Ebay as batteries are very often cheap "knock offs" that do not perform well at all. I've been caught recently and I thought it was a reputable supplier.
    Make sure you buy one locally as well because many postal services will not let you (as an individual) send batteries back through them and a courier will cost more than the battery.

7. ricardo456

ok, then just two final questions?

what sellers do you recommend?, i prefer to spent little and get something good

and second the battery it has now its a 4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion, would the one i showed in the link have a considerable increase in battery life ? if not what batteries or what specifications you recommend?

thanks for your responses by the way

8. DaveBurnett

Use google or ebay or some other place you can look for a good local battery supplier.
    I but mine from a large laptop battery maker I worked for some years ago.
    You need a place with local outlet to you.
    I would spend a little more for a decent make, but not for a Lenovo branded one as you pay for the name.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The battery in your link is rated as 7400mAh compared with the one you have already which is rated 54Wh.

I checked how to covert the Wh to mAh and it's Wh/Voltage x 1000 = mAh which works out as 54/7.4 x 1000 = 7297mAh so there's hardly any difference !

So if my figures are correct there's no point in buying that battery or another with a similar rating.

10. DaveBurnett

I missed the fact that it is an internally fitted one so may be difficult to buy a higher capacity that will fit.

11. ricardo456

yeah at tht end i noticed that there is really no point in upgrading it to that one, anyways thanks everybody for the help

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice