1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Let the Upgrade...BEGIN!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antares, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antares

antares Thread Starter

Well, not at this moment, my PSU isn't here yet and it should be here this week... :(

BUT, I'm making this thread so I can prepare myself for the outcome of my upgrade. I'll give you the information of my new parts, that will make it's new home into my system :)

(The CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and PSU are the new components)

CPU:
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4 Ghz)

Motherboard:
    Abit KD7-S

RAM:
    Two sticks of Geil 256Mb PC2700.

Video Card:
    GeForce3 Ti200 128Mb

Harddrive:
    Maxtor 60GB
    Fireball 12GB

CD Drives/Writer:
    CD-ROM Drive
    HP CD-RW 9100

Power Supply:
    PowMax 400W

Extra Hardware:
    Floppy Drive
    Zip Drive

Ok, with that sat aside, lets get to the fun part.

Now, I'm upgrading my old system, which is old (got it at 1999). It's a Gatway Pentium II 400Mhz with a Intel Tabor motherboard. I'm taking out the motherboard, plus the CPU, RAM, and PSU.

When I put in the new components in and boot up, what will happen? I heard that changing a different type of motherboard (actually the chipset) will mess up the whole thing and wip out my harddrives. I just want to know the problems that I will probably will (or not) encounter when I'm doing this.

Thanks.

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi

I recently installed a new mobo and cpu to upgrade from AMD 1.2 Ghz to an Athlon 2600 - however I did not need to format and no data was lost from the hard disk.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not that the files will be wiped out, its just that the O/S may fail to boot because of the hardware changes. Regardless, you should do a clean install of Windows, this will give you a much better, faster, and more stable O/S.

The first thing you'll likely need to do is load the Optimal (Bios Defualts, or whatever they will call them) settings in the BIOS and set the time and date. Then autodetect the drives in the BIOS save and exit. Now all you have to do is set up the O/S and install the drivers.

If you run into any problems, go to the basics (or start with them and build up) Outside of the case, assemble the mobo, CPU and HSF, 1 stick of RAM, video, and powersupply. If it starts add-on till everything is in. This avoids the 'computer is not booting' and 'what could it be.' make sure you set any jumpers correctly and move the Clear CMOS jumper to the Normal Position.

Also be aware that there are newer drivers online then those on the CD.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, and if XP keeps restart after the switch, just let it go for a while. Sometimes it loads drivers and will eventually boot normally. You can also try loading Safe Mode. If XP still fails to boot, try doing a Repair Installation (not Repair Consol). Hopefully it will just pick up and go thought. I haven't had great success with this though - only 25% of XP machines actually boot up on the first attempt and load the drivers nicely, unlike 98 which almost always works with a little fiddling in Device Manager.

Oh, and read the instructions and take your time.

5. antares

antares Thread Starter

Thank you. :)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A clean install is the best way to go, however if you do not want to do the clean install here are some instructions for getting xp up and running.

1) Uninstall any software that is dependant on your old mb ie onboard sound, nic, hardware monitor, etc. If it wants to reboot tell it later.

2) Go to device manager and change the ide controller to "standard ide' again do not let it reboot.

3) Remove anything from device manager that is part of your old board; again do not reboot.

4) Shutdown and do the swap.

5) Enter bios and set time, date, and set to boot from cdrom as first boot device.

6) Restart with xp cd in the cd drive. Choose to install. Setup will detect your previous install and offer to repair it for you. Let it do so.

7) Now install in this order; service pack 1, chipset / mb drivers, sound, nic drivers, video driver last.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice