Let's see how good you guys really are...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NoSchwag

Hopefully the title was enough to get you to look into this thread... :)

A friend had a Dell dimension.. The other day there was a power surge and now the computer wont start. He's not sure if this was the reason it stopped working.

There is a green light lit on the motherboard that goes off when I unplug the powersupply. I'm not sure if that means the power supply is okay or not, but I know the motherboard is getting some type of power.

We tested the power button with a mulitmeter and I'm pretty sure it's okay.

But...

When I push the power button, the orange power LED on the front blinks until I hold the power button down for a few sec. to shut it off.

Anyone have any suggestion?

The only sure way to test it is to swap it out with another Power Supply.
It could be any number of things, Power Supply, Motherboard, CPU, are the first few that come to mind.

It will only be solved by a process of elimination.

NoSchwag said:
Hopefully the title was enough to get you to look into this thread... :)

A friend had a Dell dimension.. The other day there was a power surge and now the computer wont start. He's not sure if this was the reason it stopped working.

There is a green light lit on the motherboard that goes off when I unplug the powersupply. I'm not sure if that means the power supply is okay or not, but I know the motherboard is getting some type of power.

We tested the power button with a mulitmeter and I'm pretty sure it's okay.

But...

When I push the power button, the orange power LED on the front blinks until I hold the power button down for a few sec. to shut it off.

Anyone have any suggestion?
looks like your motherboard is fried

NoSchwag

I don't have a "dell" 250w power supply. I do have about 100 other kinds. Can I just use any?

So I assume the green LED on the motherboard doesn't mean that the power supply is working?

NoSchwag

We figured it was a motherboard issue.. :(

is it the fact that the power light blinks that made you think that?

NoSchwag

So I went and tried to plug in a new power supply today.. The motherboard LED is brighter, the blinking power light is brighter, fans turn on, and the computer starts up for a second then shuts down.

So I know the power supply is bad.

Next I pop out the processor and try to start the computer again.. This time the computer stays on without shutting itself off.

Is it now safe to assume that the only thing that's wrong is the processor???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online