1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lexmark Installation Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmcnally, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

My Lexmark X75 printer was having trouble communicating with my laptop (running Windows XP SP2), so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I've used the Cleaning utility from Lexmark, with no luck. The autodetect gives me a "Print Monitor is Unknown" error. If I use the CD instead of the plug n' play it seems to finish properly, but doesn't give me the dialogue that it used to and then when I try to start the software it says the Printer Drivers aren't installed. (The software then starts.) Any suggestions for this frustration?

2. jjdunn01

jjdunn01

Sounds like a bad installation. I presume it's a USB connection. USB installation is different than a serial port installation. Uninstall the printer. Disconnect the printer. Install the software on the computer. Shut down the coputer and connect the printer to it then reboot. Plug and play then should do the rest. Follow the "bouncing ball"

3. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I finally was able to talk to a competent tech support rep from Lexmark (after several fruitless attempts) and they had me do the following:

First I ran services.msc and found the printer server and set it to start automatically. I also started it mannually.

Next I ran the command "net start spoole." Then I restarted, and that did the trick. The next time I installed it worked correctly. Thanks again, and hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice