1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lexmark X1100 - Color Cartridge at 60%, but no Color Prints?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonasdatum, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hello my fellow techguy.org/helonthe.net member. Here is my dilemma; my Lexmark X1100 All In One Scanner/Printer appears to be malfunctioning. My color cartridge is at about 60%. When I try to print color images (requires that I disable “print color images in blk&wht”) it doesn’t work. All I get is incomplete images in black and white? What is the problem? Do I need to replace the cartridge? I’ve tried changing printing configurations, physically removing and reinstalling the cartridge, even reinstalling the drivers. What is wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

Does your Printer have a head cleaning tool? Most of them do. Go into Tools and look for cleaning process.

3. jonasdatum

First thing I did. All I get are clean black prints. I summize that the printer is going to the black cartridge?!?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is the cartridge old and perhaps not used for a while? It can also be a driver issue what OS are you on and how recently did you check Lexmark for upgrades to drivers?

5. jonasdatum

First off thanks thus far, secondly yes I checked the drivers and I have the latest ones. I even installed them again just to make sure they weren't currupted. The cartridge hasn't been used in a long while.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

The cartridge is probably dried out then....I have seen it work sometimes suspending it over steam from say a whistling tea kettle for a bit....

7. jonasdatum

Please elaborate, how do I do this?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Honestly I don't know any other way to explain what I said.

9. NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer

I used to work at an ink refilling store. Unfortunately your first mistake was buying a lexmark printer. Thier cartridges are notorious for drying up. Especially if you live in dry areas of the country like the southwest. (Stick with HP (y) ) But also I see it alot with all printers is that sometimes the ink guage software can be way off. So even if it says you have 60% ink, it could actually very well be empty. Remove the cartridge from the printer and shake it around, if it feels excessively light then its most likely empty. I doubt you have a refined enough scale lying around, but if I remember correctly and empty 26 cartridge weighs around 16-18 grams.

If it feels heavy like ink is still left in it, then submerge just the printheads in a small amount of hot water(NOT BOILING). I do not advise using steam from a boiling kettle, that much heat can damage the printheads and electronics. Heat about 1" of water in a small pot and submerge the printheads and move it around for a bout a minute or two. Then I would remove it from the water and press the printheads down against a paper towel to see if any ink is coming out. If there is ink left and the printheads are not completely burnt out then it should leave a "footprint" on the paper towel of three different color dots.(Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)

edit: [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. jonasdatum

Dried out, that is most unfortunate. Any suggestions for a replacement printer?
    Also, I have an old Canon BJC 200s series printer. Works fine, but needs to be cleaned inside and out. Ink leaked out when I left it in the closet, any suggestions on how to clean it (dry ink on the inside and out of it)?

Thanks.

11. NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer

As far as inkjet printers are concerned HP has the best overall reliability and quality. If you are just doing your standard document printing and an occasional photo, then definitly buy an HP. However, if you are into photography newer Epson series are probably the absolute best as far as photo quality, but thier cartridges are a bit of a pain; and the printheads are built into the printer not the cartridge, so when the printheads clog to the point where you cant clean them, you have to get a new printer. Whereas HP, you just buy new cartridges and the printheads are built right in.

I haven't worked in the ink business for about 2 years, but when i left HP had just released thier 96(black) and 97(color) cartridges. So any printer with those in them are a good choice. Unfortunately I don't know whats come out since then, so I cant be of much help.

12. jonasdatum

Looking into Epson, any recommendations?

13. NgelicDestroyer

NgelicDestroyer

As I've said before, I haven't worked in printer/ink for quite some time, but any photo epson printer is a good printer. Epson is quite distinguished for thier quality.

I'm not sure what your uses or price range is, but a recent model on thier website, the Stylus R380 seems to be a good all around printer with quite a few options. It's a 6 color photo printer that can print to paper, photo paper, and even has a special tray to print to cds/dvds. It also has a small LCD screen to crop, resize, and remove red-eye from photos. This can be found on Amazon for $109.99 and probably a bit more in stores.

If that is above your price range and has a few too many features than you need, to be honest, any Epson printer should meet your expectations for everyday needs so long as you dont buy the $40 special. Like everything else; you get what you pay for. Just figure out your price range, and look around online for printers with the options you want. Then when you know what you want, go out and buy it.

Thats about all the help I can give you really. Since I'm not all that knowlegable on Epsons anymore. But I've never heard any complaints.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!