1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lexmark x73[a piece of ----]

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by zip316, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zip316

zip316 Thread Starter

hi ,has anyone had problems with lexmark x73[a real piece of ----]? i should have known when the price dropped so fast,the company will not stand behind their junk either

2. torgo

torgo

my experience with lexmark has been: 1)produce crappy product

2)lower price to try and get rid of it
    3)laugh at stupid consumers with useless brick of a printer

i have 2 totally new, totally crap lexmarks-never again:(

3. tomlunt

tomlunt

Zip316

I've got a lexmark z43 and am pleased with it. It wasn't expensive.

I think lexmark pretty much gives away the printers and overcharges for the ink cartridges - that's their business model.

i don't print in color all that much so i guess i doesn't bother me too much.

Sorry about your printer troubles. My suggestion - go with HP next time - you rarely hear any one complaining about an HP Printer (or in your case, multi-function device).

TL

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Never had a problem with lexmark, EXCEPT, the X73 and the X75, I tried to buy some X75's for the company and ended up taking them back due to them not working well with XP..

As far as ink cartridge cost, Lexmark Cartridges are probably the easiest ink cartridges to refill, just don't use the "cracker" that comes with the refill kits. Instead, use a razor blade knife to remove the top from the cartridges.

5. bartholimew

bartholimew

HAHA I got a story about the Lexmark X-73. My buddy gave it to me, said he had to reload the drivers weekly , It would just stop working, and he would have to uninstall and reload weekly.

So here I am a month later thinkin there's nothing wrong with this printer and sure enough it stopped functioning, I had to install the X-73 cleaner and then reload the drivers.

Microsoft has officially washed its hands of the X-73 too. They are well aware of its problems and blame Lexmark out right. A little finger pointing between Lexmark and Microsoft.

Lexmark is junk folks. Bad engineering. Period. Crackerjack box engineering diplomas in their think tank I guess.

Edit: The problem is with the win XP security protocols not allowing the lexmark registry entries to update on shutdown. XP will not change this for obvious reasons and the firmware chip in the lexmark needs to be unplugged to erase and rewrite itself. No driver patch can fix that.

6. Old Coot

Old Coot

My girlfriend has a Lexmark Z52 connected to her system that she absolutely LOVES!!! No problems with it whatsoever.

She recently bought a Lexmark All-In-One X75 that I've had no problems with. (connected to my system via USB)

I have an HP Photosmart 1000 (connected via parallel) that my system can't see half the time and I have to reboot both my system and the printer endlessly and hope they see each other then. If not, I have to re & re the drivers.

The best printer I've ever used is the one I have connected to my son's system and is available to every system in the house over my network via Win 98 file and printer sharing. It's a Brother HL 660 laser printer that's about 8 years old. It was the cheapest laser in it's day when 600 dpi lasers first became available. It was 1/2 the price of an HP Laserjet at the time.
    It costs about 1/10 to operate compared to any inkjet (I get about 3000 pages per $50 toner), the printer refuses to die and I've never had any issues with it, and the five personal systems in the house have never had any problems printing to it.

I came across this forum looking for a FEMALE voice for Lexmark's "printer voice notification". Looks like I'm stuck with the male voice. On Lexmark's site there's no reference to it at all.

Is anyone aware of anything out there or if changing the voice is even possible? A link or URL to any info would be much appreciated.

Old Coot

7. zip316

zip316 Thread Starter

8. kiss_n_puss

kiss_n_puss

We have one of each and I have never had so many problems installing or uninstalling printers.

Currently we have two Z45 drivers installed on an WinXp Home pc and we cannot remove either of them, the icons will show "offline' in the Control panel window...and I now use my HP.

I have deleted all of the Lexmark REGEDIT entries except one that will not go away.

9. lisaa7002

lisaa7002

Bought lexmark x1150 (all-in-one) with my dell. Love it so far. Thanks for tip on refill!!! My one compliant was that NO ONE told me I would need to buy a seperate usb cable for it... You would think dell would have mentioned it didn't come with one. (for us first time computer buyers!) or, how much would it cost lexmark to throw one in Geez !

10. kamakazze15

kamakazze15

Hey, ur crazy...the lemark x73 is the #1 printer/copier/scanner ect on the list rite now...

11. bartholimew

bartholimew

Did you try the"Lxkx73clean" file you can dl from lexmark? It was developed for that reason, its on their site. HeHe, Lexmark even had create an uninstall file because their original one didn't get everything.

Oh and hey folks the original post was in reference to the x-73, I'm happy your x-75 works well, but its only because the bugs were in the x-73

12. PCvirgin

PCvirgin

As for myself, I am currently using a the Z33 Lexmark. It has worked well for me so far.

13. j1mmyd

j1mmyd

On XP (I hope no one I know sees this) the .wav files for all the sounds are in: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3"

Just record or pick new ones, but keep the filenames the same.

14. sharky

sharky

i have had no problems with my lexmark 75,then again i just bought it yesterday. now i'm all worried :(

15. cammi

cammi

i have a lexmark z13... the only problem i have with it is that the cartridges are just expensive and finish quickly.

either that, or my printer hates my lecture slides and homework...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice