1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LG 203WT will not keep native res

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ninjagecko, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninjagecko

Ninjagecko Thread Starter

Hi,

I upgraded my video card back in May, and have been battling this obnoxious problem ever since. The new card is a geforce 7600GT, XFX Fatal1ty edition. It is the first card that I have tried which uses PCI-E with my current motherboard.

The problem is complicated:

Installing nVidia's drivers, either 91, 93 or 94 and restarting all yield good results. However, if I shut my computer down for some number of minutes (it seems inconsistent), windows XP will not properly detect my monitor when I boot up. Immediate restart does not produce this problem. The default "analog monitor" that appears will not support 1680x1050 as an option. If I enter menus for display-oriented things, eg nVidia control panel or quick launch, or any of the display properties menus, or I enter or exit a game like C&C3, the monitor may or may not be detected. One theory is that the problem is temperature sensitive, and as the system heats up, it becomes able to detect my monitor, resulting in a lag after extended shut-down. Why the detection waits until I enter a display menu is a little odd.

I immediately started a dialog with the XFX support team. They suggested I try reinstalling my motherboard's chipset drivers. However, ASRock does not list a PCI-E driver; only AGP and BIOS upgrades, both of which I have tried. After a few weeks, they RMA'd my card. By the time it arrived on their end, despite obscene amounts of bubble wrap, it apparently would not pass PORT and didn't work at all. They shipped me a new card, which they had tested before mailing, which now has a virtually identical problem. (But, their card also evidently suffered some battering in transit, bending the heat sink and backplate, which eliminates the infallibility of the card). The only difference with the new card is that the monitor is much more consistently detected the first time I click on the nVidia quick launch icon.

The monitor has never faulted in any way before, and is detected perfectly fine with my AGP video card (nvidia 4100). The motherboard does have a problem with one of it's IDE slots (if anything is set as primary slave, my machine won't boot. Go figure).

Supporting the temperature idea is the fact that a week ago we had some very hot, humid weather and the problem disappeared for two days. It has since returned. If the problem were temperature sensitive, it should not make sense that reinstalling drivers consistently repairs the problem for the first boot cycle.

The other thoroughly bizarre component is that if I force a custom resolution (nvidia drivers 94.24 are the only ones which will let me do this), it will test perfectly, but not display properly when I then switch to the setting after testing (my desktop extends off the screen - the LG's autoadjust function indicates that it is not in native resolution). If I DELETE the custom setting, it remains available in the registry, and selecting it at this point produces the proper display. wtf. Of course, restarting clears the registry and I lose the option.

The problem occurs with both microsoft and LG monitor drivers, and switching from VGA to a DVI-I cable did not help.

Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll have a chance to swap out some of the components with my computer at work. Does anyone know other ways to isolate where the problem is coming from? I'm almost at the point of overhauling my entire rig, which I seriously can't afford.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice