1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LG burner/player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Selwyn, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Selwyn

Selwyn Thread Starter

Hi, Guys.......
    This is my first time on this particular TechGuys forum; I hope someone out there can help!

Over the last two years I have successfully burned tens of DVD-RW discs (usually Verbatim), on my LG with no problems. As you know, the -RW allows me editing functions (partial erasing, combining/transposing scenes, etc.). About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased 20 new discs - DVD-RW's - and confidently began using them to burn a series of programs from my stored TV recording hard disc.

To my great surprise when it came to editing-out unwanted sections of the recorded programs - ads etc. - the drop-down menu on my LG showed grey-inactive for the editing option. I checked several of the discs thinking that perhaps one or two were duds. I also re-inserted old DVD-RW's that I had previously recorded satisfactorily and the full editing menu immediately re-appeared.

Let me stress: I am using the same category/make of disc, the same recording/burning/playing hardware but receiving a negative response.

Very frustrating and bewildering.

Has anyone got a clue as to what is happening here?

Yours,
    Selwyn:mad:

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Are the new DVDs Verbatim ???
    Have you tried another New batch ???

The Smithsonian Institute did a study on the longevity of CD - DVDs
    Their conclusion was they can't be trusted to maintain the same longevity .... even the same mfr.
    The manufactures can and will change the build process and are not required to tell us.

From what I've seen, Verbatim usually specifies the process.

3. Selwyn

Selwyn Thread Starter

Thank you Noyb for your input. We'll see if any additional responses offer some further information!
    Selwyn:)

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Bad discs or burner.

Test the discs on another computer. Test using a different brand/type of media to determine a media or burner issue.

I will also point out that RW media is the least reliable type of disc that you can use. Store on your HDD, edit, and then burn to a quality +/-R media. Verbatim or Taio Yuden for SL media or Verbatim for DL media.

5. Selwyn

Selwyn Thread Starter

Dear Oddball11 - Thanks very much for your input. It would seem a little over the top to think that ALL 20 of Verbatim's DVD-RW discs in two different packs, are dud and as mentioned in my post, the full menu DOES come up with already burned discs, suggesting that the hardware is O.K. The Verbatim -RW is specifically mentioned in LG's user manual as a "recommended and approved" item. The idea of saving to another source sounds a possible way out of the dilemma; I'll give it a go ----- thanks and have a good day!
    Selwyn.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Of all the brands, Verbatim is what I would recommend whether it's recommended in the manual or not.

In regards the media issue, assuming you are referring to previously burned media, it's not entirely impossible. Storage can greatly affect the life span, so again assuming they were all burned in roughly the same time period, and they were all stored together, they could have all failed together.

More likely a drive issue. But faulty media is still possible. You won't know for sure until you perform further testing to see exactly what is and isn't working.

7. Selwyn

Selwyn Thread Starter

Dear Oddball11 In re your comment "In regards to the media issue, assuming you are referring to previously burned media, it's not entirely impossible. Storage can greatly affect the life span, so again assuming they were all burned in roughly the same time period, and they were all stored together, they could have all failed together."

While I continue to be grateful for your dedicated determination to assist me, I do believe that you are missing the point here. Already burned discs that I have burned on this same LG equipment are quite OK: the LG is displaying the full editing menu while the new batch of identical Verbatim DVD-RW - all 20 of them - refuse to activate the "grayed-out" editing option in the drop-down menu. THIS IS THE PROBLEM.
    Yours,
    Selwyn. :)

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The discs are not being recognized properly (ie: not being seen as RW media), not being burned properly, or the software you are using for editing is corrupted.

9. Selwyn

Selwyn Thread Starter

Thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice