1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LG GSA-4167B USB 2.0 Firmware Update ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by panamapatric, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamapatric

panamapatric Thread Starter

Hi All: Just purchased a LG GSA-4167B using a USB 2.0 connection via an USB 2.0 External Enclosure. The firmware version that came with the drive is version DL10. There are later firmware versions available, DL11, DL12 and DL13. I would like to update to the latest version, DL13. Can I do it by downloading the DL13 zip file and just unzipping it or will I have a problem because it is using a USB external connection. There are no instructions on the LG download site for a USB connected firmware update. Any insight would be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Patrick

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Connect the drive to the secondary IDE as Master to do any firmware updates to the drive. Otherwise it probably will not work or you risk rendering the drive unuseable.

3. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon panamapatric, unless it is neccessary it is a good idea not to play with drive firmware, most give one chance for error and then become doorstops.
    qldit.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless you have a specific reason for upgrading the firmware, I'd say don't. Do a search here on firmware upgrades and see how many doorstops have been created. :D

5. panamapatric

panamapatric Thread Starter

Thanks for the input however when I boot up my System I get a notification message that a new firmware version is available and to click on that message to download it. When I click on the message it goes throught the download process but nothing gets updated!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You must have the LG Auto Update utility installed. It can be uninstalled from ADD/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

I update all my drive's firmware whenever I see a new one, they've resolved several compatibility issues with different media. With some models they even improve speed or add features.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!