1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved LG Smart TV sound output to headphones fails

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by shobuz99, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

I did a search but didn't find any threads related to audio issues.
    I have an LG Smart TV model 47LA6200.
    It has several HDMI access points as well as USB.
    It also has audio and video outputs on one side of the TV.
    Currently, I have a Philips Blu-Ray player connected to the TV via HDMI.
    I also have a Time-Warner Cable Box connected to the TV via HDMI.

When I wish to use headphones when people are sleeping, I connect the headphones RCA connectors
    to the cable box RCA(red & white) ports audio out. This works fine for any cable TV shows.
    I can mute the TV and still hear the TV audio with the headphones.
    I just don't have a volume control for the headphones, so I get whatever volume the cable box defaults to,
    but that is not an issue for me.

What I can't do is get the headphones to work from the audio output of the Blu-Ray player,
    Or the audio output from the Internet, when I select the option for Netflix or a Web browser that
    connects to my wireless WiFi router.
    I know that using HDMI to connect Blu-Ray to TV gives me the audio to the TV...
    But I can't use headphones for the Blu-Ray. I've tried to connect the headphones to the TV RCA (red & white) ports
    directly; but no sound comes out of those ports. Nothing.
    I have the same problem if I am on Netflix through my Smart TV.
    No audio comes out of the TV RCA (red & white) ports.

I've tried looking in the LG Smart TV on-screen "settings" for a way to make those RCA(red & white) ports active and
    output sound. I have not found them listed in a config that suggests an active output.

To summarize, the only audio that works, that I can use for my headphones is the Cable box RCA (red & white) ports audio output.
    I have no way of using headphones on the TV or the Blu-Ray player separately.

Can anyone help me? Please tell me what information you need from me to help unravel my problem.
    I appreciate any recommendations you have.
    Thank you.

Shobuz99

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Brad Moderator

Hello there!
    First, it appears from this manual that your TV may have a headphone jack:

http://www.lg.com/us/support/manuals-documents?search=LG+Smart+TV+model+47LA6200#

Take a look and see if that would work for you.

The second option would be to get yourself a receiver (and a couple of speakers) to use for your system. Run the TV audio out (RCA plugs) into the receiver. Then, you could use your headphones with the receiver.

shobuz99 likes this.
  3. shobuz99

shobuz99 Thread Starter

Thank you! For some reason, I never really thought the headphone jack looked like a typical 3.5mm type
    that I'm used to seeing. In fact, it doesn't. And that's why I assumed there wasn't one.
    My only two issues now are thus,
    1 - I cannot listen to the headphones from that jack and also allow others in the room to hear the audio, if they are watching with me. The use of the headphone jack shuts off the external TV speaker volume.
    BUT, ... at least I'm able to hear the audio and adjust the volume for both Netflix AND any DVD I play on my Blu-Ray player...however, no one else will be able to....
    2 - I DO have a stereo receiver in use in my recording studio, It's a Yamaha that is only about 3 years old and has plenty of HDMI and USB ports as well as Ext Spkrs and 6 AVI ports.

I guess my decision now is to consider purchasing a 2nd receiver of equal or better quality, that also includes Bluetooth support as well.
    I have a Wireless Sans Fil MDR-ZX 330BT head phone set, that uses Bluetooth and I have a Bluetooth adapter that will connect to a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Thank you very much!
    As I used to say to my computer repair clients, "If all else fails, READ THE MANUAL".
    I should've taken my own advice and not skipped over the section that you pointed out!!

best,
    Shobuz99

Drabdr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189928