1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LG TV Repair, help identifying part.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Sankticity, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sankticity

Sankticity Thread Starter

I figured out the source of my problem with my LG 42" Plasma TV and need help identifying which part to replace it with.
    Here is a picture of the part that is bad, I just need to know what it is called!

[​IMG]

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Sankticity, and welcome to TSG.

If the marking on the board is Q706, it is some type of transistor. You would need a parts list or service manual to find out the part number (Q706 is just a reference number for a given location on the board, not an actual part number).

You may discover that the transistor part number is for a proprietary LG part and may not be readily available as an individual replacement part.

You also need to consider the very good possibility that the original transistor failed due to failure of some other part in the TV. In such a case, the replacement part would burn up like the original as soon as the TV is turned on.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, "cascading" failures is a very common phenomenon with circuit boards. The transistor could have failed due to another part and caused yet another to fail, and so on. It is not often the part that is actually burned out that is the original cause of the problem. That transistor obviously didn't blow due to simple overheating. As they say, sometimes the equipment burns out to spare the fuse. :D

4. Sankticity

Where would I be able to purchase a replacement transistor?
    I can't seem to find a service manual for my model so that I can find the specifications or part number, any suggestions?
    Thanks!

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You might see if you can find the part number on that whole board assembly
    and run it on ebay.
    You may be able to find a replacement board for a reasonable price.

6. Sankticity

I found this when looking through a troubleshooting guide on the LG tech website.
    "This signal first turns on a DC level shifter Q706 which creates 5V General."
    Looks like this transistor is kind of a big deal.

7. Sankticity

STBY 5V Short: Power LED does not light in stand by. No Power button function.
    I also found this, it says that since there's no function with the power button, there is a 5V short, which is supposed to be produced by this transistor?

8. Sankticity

I was able to find a replacement board on eBay for around $50, but if I could get the transistor for cheaper, I would rather go that route.

9. Sankticity

Would that be considered a 5v Transistor (Voltage Regulator)?
    Not really finding it and thinking I may have to resort to buying a replacement board.
    Thanks for the info so far!

10. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Yeah,kind of hard to find component replacement parts
    without having a service manual with a full parts list and
    knowing where to get parts from wholesalers that sell them.
    Plus relacing the board will replace any other components
    that may be bad and cause that component to fail.
    At least on that board.

11. lboone001

lboone001

Have you found a repair manual for your lcd plasma tv yet? If not I can help you find a manual

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice