LibreOffice Spreadsheet Workaround

Brvsfn01

I did a search on this and didn't see it so I apologize if this topic has already been covered. I am using the latest Version of LibreOffice ver 7.0.3.1. I have been using alternative software to Microsoft products for a while because I don't like the strangle hold that Microsoft currently has. I don't think it's right or healthy. While LibreOffice is very similar to Office there are some differences and there has been a bit of a learning curve for me. I like the way that LibreOffice does a lot of things and apparently someone has actually been listening to users which is a good thing.

I have a large spreadsheet that I use to track a lot of data and detail. Recently I have wanted to create targeted charts to show the trends of different data sets and data points and I was not sure how to do it. According to the LibreOffice forums what I want to do can't be done but I figured a way to do it. The first 5 columns of my spread sheets contain important indices and the other columns contain information derived from those first 5 columns. I wanted to create a chart to graph the first 5 columns and create other charts to graph certain columns from the rest of the spreadsheet. At first glance I could not see a way to do it. It was either the entire spreadsheet of nothing which would not work. I played with my idea for 2 or 3 days and finally hit on the solution.

I created tabs in the spreadsheet for each graph I needed. Next I charted the first 5 columns. Then I selectively "Hide" the columns that I didn't need for the successive chart tabs and charted what was left on the screen and I repeated this for all of the dats in the spreadsheet until I had the charts that I needed. Lastly I "UnHide" all of the columns that I had hidden as I was making my charts and it worked. Apparently when I hid columns and created the charts LibreOffice remembered what columns were needed for what chart and so far I am living happily ever after and am a very happy guy.

Some of you might be thinking "well, what's the big deal, I do this every day" and you might be right but for me this is advanced stuff and I am glad I was able to figure it out. Thanks for listening everyone and have a good weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online