licence for XP and installing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

etaf

Wayne
with the practice of selling PC/laptops with recover CD's no CD's etc etc - I was wondering

1) Say I have 3 laptops all running XP home all with the licence number on the bottom TAG - lets say all different makes - so ACER, Toshiba, HP

2) Now I happen to have 1 copy of the software XP home full edition - but since the software never belongs to anyone and its only the use of the software that you need the licence for what would stop me re-installing XP Home onto all my three laptops and using the licence key on the label of each machine when asked for a licence.
so i am using the rights to use auth key mumber that came with the PC.

3) Its like a record you only pay to listen to - so it does not matter whos album you borrow as you have the license to listen to the music

You are right there is nothing to stop you doing it....and a LOT of people do. Most IT guys just keep one disk with them and use the clients KEY to install...nothing wrong with that. You have paid for the licenses.

Scorp.

etaf

Wayne
OK Thanks for the that - i thought that should be the case but wasnot sure

Talk to Microsoft about that. You are supposed to have not only the COA = key code for each machine but also separate software for each machine. That is Microsoft's rules.

etaf

Wayne
Talk to Microsoft about that. You are supposed to have not only the COA = key code for each machine but also separate software for each machine. That is Microsoft's rules.
I know ACER Laptops do not come with any software - they give you the instructions to make a recover CD - however, if you are a new user and do not read that bit in the manual -then if you get a harddrive problem you dont have any software...
a lot of manufactures put the recovery on a partition.

and of course average joe bloggs user has no idea they need to ask for a wiondows XP CD when they buy the machine

etaf

Wayne
OK - I may have missed something - but did not appear to give a definitive answer.

etaf

Wayne
yea - thats how it reads ..........
change the rules - Media and Documentation - and then the next thing is just the license to use.

etaf said:
I know ACER Laptops do not come with any software - they give you the instructions to make a recover CD - however, if you are a new user and do not read that bit in the manual -then if you get a harddrive problem you dont have any software...
a lot of manufactures put the recovery on a partition.

and of course average joe bloggs user has no idea they need to ask for a wiondows XP CD when they buy the machine
I have an acer laptop, and it came with ready made recovery disks and software. Even has a disk for Norton Anti-Virus.

The thing it is saying is each computer comes with a set of legal Windows Install software and that is the only ones that can legally be used with the computer, unless you purchase new Windows install software with the COA's if you are using the same software disk on all three computers it is not legal by the word of Microsoft.

etaf

Wayne
yea i thought that would be the case - cheers

etaf

Wayne
thats interesting about ACER a friend of mine purchased one and it came with nothing - in the manual it told her how to create recover Disks - which sort of started my question really

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online