1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Life after XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Phantom010, Dec 27, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Hiya, John!

Yeah, what I said is perfectly true (you're proof of that). I do find the terminal does have its uses (handy for when you're trying out new software for the first time in Puppy, and want to see if there's any problems when you initially fire it up - good for 'debugging', or finding missing dependencies).....but by & large I avoid it wherever I can!

Puppy is very 'underrated', mate...and too many folks look down their noses at it. Their loss!

Mike. ;)

2. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Thanks Mike and Johnny b. Do you only use Linux-specific applications (such as LibreOffice) or is Linux compatible with Microsoft and other applications? When you test Linux out, what sorts of applications can you use to test it on? What about security issues in Linux? Does it require Linux-specific antivirus and maleware applications?

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I run a Win7 computer off-line only with MS Office and have installed LibreOffice on my Puppy computer.
    I haven't come across any incompatibilities, but I don't use either very much to start with.

I have noticed the formatting of a Puppy based txt file looks a bit messy when opened with the MS Notepad.

Most of my Linux usage is online. I use Firefox just as I would on a Windows computer.
    Gimp is a popular foto editor. In Puppy, I usually use mtpaint which is the default and simple to use but not as indepth as Gimp.

As far as antivirus, it's available but not commonly used for Linux. MS is the common target but Linux as with any OS, is not impervious to virus and malware, just no where near as susceptible as MS products. Rare even.
    I don't use antivirus, but there is a Malwarebytes browser extension for Firefox and Chrome browsers on a Linux platform.
    Most Linux distributions have their own firewall.

I also use a NAT router for extra protection.

I mostly us Puppy Linux that's burned to a DVD but lately I've been trying out Puppy on a USB flash drive.
    I prefer the DVD for security at the moment. It boots everything on the DVD into memory so you can then remove the DVD. That's an added plus for security. If malware were to invade a session, then the next time you bootup, nothing on the DVD has changed or been saved and the first boot is as fresh as the last.
    The advantage of a USB install is it boots up a lot faster. Down side is that you can't remove it till after you shut down and any malware you might experience will be saved.
    Hope that doesn't scare you away.

However, there are USB flash drives with optional safety write switches that prevent write backs.
    I ordered one a couple days ago from Amazon to try out.

So, you've got choices, and of course, if you like Puppy, it can be installed to a hard drive also.

I like Puppy. Works well for me......but Mike is the master at making Puppy do the 'tricks' Linux is famous for. He'll deny it, but he is.

Another Linux distribution that beginners seem to like is Mint.
    You can try it out on a DVD or USB flash drive to see if you like it, but it's really intended to be installed on a hard drive.

I've used it in the distant past and it is pretty good. It will have a lot more included apps on a standard install that Puppy won't.

8biosdrive likes this.
  4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Or, you have the complete hassle free Chrome OS, you know, what this thread was first about!? :D;)

If you're only using a computer for the Internet, watching Netflix or YouTube, for Word or PowerPoint, frankly, why not Chrome OS? Look at the Chrome Web Store, Google Play Store and rollApp for extensions and applications. Plenty of very capable free stuff! And NO antivirus to install!

8biosdrive likes this.
  5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Many 'flavors' of Linux abound and Chrome OS is certainly one of them to consider.

My apologies.
    But I can only speak to what I use :)
    I've never thought about trying to set up Chrome OS on a Windows computer.
    My first encounter with Linux was way back in the early 2000's.
    Hard drive installs first of Red Hat 6.x and then Mandrake 8, both difficult for me and not friendly for a beginner at that time. Peanut was next. Not for me.
    Then I read about Barry Kauler's Puppy that booted off a CD.
    The article pushed it as a replacement OS for Windows machines that had become obsolete. Suggested it was a good way to get children on an older computer with little to no expense or experience.
    At the time, also not right for me.
    I found Slax and used it and DSL from time to time, more as a hobby interest.
    Even used Slax several times for trouble shooting hardware and driver issues when Win 98se wouldn't boot after a hardware upgrade.
    Tried out Mint in VirtualBox. Ran quite well. But I'd been using Windows for more than a decade at that time and my data (finances etc, which were already housed in an off line computer ) was in formats some of which had no linux capability in opening other than using Wine, which didn't allow my most used Windows application to run, PaperPort. So Mint wasn't needed/used as a replacement for my off line activities.
    But a more secure concept of using a Live OS for internet usage looked attractive from both a security and maintenance aspect.

MS security updates were often problematic, not just the recent ones with Win 10.
    With the security rollup update concept and Windows 10 as a service ramping up and looking problematic, I decided to go back to the Linux OS and give it another try.

Chrome Box has come a long way just like most tech has.
    Originally, I didn't like it's needed internet connection and apps as a service concept, but I see where that has changed.

With Puppy, and most Linux distributions, I don't need to buy a computer to run them, I already have one :)
    Technically, isn't the free Chrome OS called Chromium OS, while Chrome OS comes on a Chrome Box that has to be purchased?.

6. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Yah, you're right about that. And, TBH, you get everything in ChromiumOS that you would in ChromeOS, since Chrome itself is just another Chromium 'clone'.....with the exception of the Google-specific stuff.

I've tried out occasional builds of ChromiumOS from a flash-drive. Trying newer builds is a good idea from time to time, since additional hardware support tends to come with newer kernels, of course.....and I spend by far the largest proportion of my time in Chrome, so....

Be warned, though; installing it to a flash drive, it looks a real mess when you take a look at the drive with gParted. I have never seen so many tiny little partitions in my life (17 or 18 of them, from what I recall.....most of which gParted can't even recognize (and there isn't much it can't handle, FWIW..!)

Which to my mind indicates that they use a proprietary, Google-specific filesystem. It's a nightmare trying to re-format the drive afterwards, too.....

Jeezus H., mate.....you'll make my head so big, I'll need bigger bolts to hold it on more firmly..! :LOL:

Mike. ;)

Johnny b likes this.
  7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Not challenging the abilities of a Chrome Box. It appears to work well.
    I haven't tried it because the Linux distro I'm currently using also works well :)

What ever OS a person uses, best to use what's needed.
    At the moment, I simply don't need Chromium or a new Chrome Box computer.
    I might try Chromium OS out of curiosity sometime.

Life after XP? :D

Puppy also has available it's version of an app store. All apps listed are free. And antivirus is available if someone wants it.
    So do many Linux distributions.

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    That kind of partitioning must take up a bit of space on a flash drive.
    What's an appropriate/reasonable minimum size of a flash drive for a Chromium OS install?

9. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ John:-

I have put ChromiumOS on a 4 GB TDK flash drive before (actual 3.87 GB), but that's pushing it a bit, I feel. I would say an 8 GB, to be on the safe side.

This you need to know. It doesn't come as an ISO; it comes as an IMG file. That being the case, you can't use Rufus or any of the normal tools, though I believe Arnold does recommend the appropriate Windoze tool for the job. The recommended way to put it on the flash drive is with good old 'dd' (known as the disk destroyer, 'cos that's exactly what it'll do if you don't get the 'formula' spot-on!

I get mine from Arnold The Bat's 'World of Whimsy'; he's done a fair number of builds over the last few years, and they're usually pretty good.

https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/chromium-os/

A guy by the name of 'Hexxeh' used to be the boss-man for these, but he lost interest in his project a few years back. Since then, ArnoldTheBat is the recommended 'go-to guy' for pre-compiled builds.....and, like I say, they work pretty well.

No point formatting the drive, either; whatever you format it to, the IMG file will over-write it with all that odd Google stuff anyway.....so it's best just to let it get on with it! You need to re-install now & then anyway; it's the only way to upgrade the 'core' component (the browser itself), since the entire thing is built around it!

If you do try it, let us know how you get on, and what you think of it. It's good for a laugh, if nothing else.....and the better builds (some are real lemons, but that's not Arnold's fault; more down to the build-bots at the Chromium Project throwing the occasional hissy) are actually worth hanging onto.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Sounds like a task for the dead of winter and 5 feet of snow LOL!

I'll take a look see, but 'disk destroyer'......mmmm! Guess I'd better be using one of my older flash drives :D

11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks again for the effort, Mike.

As you know, I'm a Firefox fan and I just couldn't get used to using the Chrome browser.
    From what I'm reading, FF isn't supported on Chrome OS or Chromium.
    There appears to be an Andriod version some people have tried but it's mostly a kluge.

I think I'll skip Chrome/Chromium OS. Not for me :)
    I like a system that works out of the box the way I want to use it and Puppy is one of those.

I don't even change my icons lol!

12. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ John:-

Now I think about it, there is actually a Linux tool available to make this easier. It's called 'Etcher', by resin i.o. (now balena-i.o).

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

It comes as an AppImage, which is kinda like the Linux equivalent of Windows PortableApps. An AppImage is a single, compiled binary, containing everything needed for an app to run.

When you've downloaded it (sometimes it's in a tarball, sometimes you get the AppImage directly), you usually need to give it execute permissions. In Puppy, rt-clk on the AppImage->Properties. Tick all three of the 'Execute' check boxes down the bottom, then hit 'Refresh'. Then 'Close'. The text under the 'gearwheel' will turn from black to green, indicating it's now executable.

You can run this from anywhere. Just click on it; it'll seem like nowt's happening to start with, but they take a wee while to get going because they unpack themselves into /tmp for the duration.

Then just follow the ultra-simple instructions...

EDIT:- Sorry, my bad. Etcher, it appears, is specifically for flashing to SD cards. Not USB drives; it doesn't even 'see' them.

So know you know.....

Mike. ;)

13. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

There's still hope... :D

https://www.rollapp.com/app/firefox

14. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Just to add another Chrome OS into the mix.
    CloudReady: Home Edition by neverware.
    https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

I installed this on an old laptop a year or so ago and it worked well until the laptop finally died.

Phantom010 likes this.
  15. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ blues_harp28:-

Not being funny, but in all honesty, that makes using 'dd' under Linux look simple. I came to Linux, years ago, to get away from 'complicated'..!!

I don't think I've ever seen such a list of specific dos, don'ts & requirements in my life. Not to mention that every 'certified' model on their list is, without fail, a LAPTOP.

Doesn't look very promising for anyone who wants to try this on an elderly desktop, does it? :LOL: Be that as it may, it'll probably work very well for most people.....

(*shrug*)

Mike.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice