1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Life after XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Phantom010, Dec 27, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Phantom010 likes this.
  2. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ blues_harp28:-

^^^ Lol!! Join the club.....

O-kayyy. Reading the article you linked to, it sounds easy enough. Only point I'm not clear about is whether the USB you create with this 'Recovery Tool' is only for 'installing' to HDD with.....or whether you can actually run from that USB in like 'Live' mode?

(I have an entire kennel-full of Pups on my internal drives. I don't really want to add any more to the collection.....there's more than enough as it is!)

-----------------------------------------------

The interesting point, of course, being that although Google dropped 32-bit support for Chrome in Linux the best part of 4 years ago, the guys at the Chromium Project (where Google draw Chrome's code from) are still, to this day, producing 32-bit builds of the browser (and obviously, by extension, ChromiumOS too..!)

Dropping 32-bit support was intended, in the long-term, to force everybody else to switch. It's pretty much succeeded.....though I still prefer 32-bit Puppies to 64-bit ones, 'cos the little darlings absolutely scream, speed-wise!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes it can be run in live mode from the USB.
    It will recognise ethernet-wifi connections but you are limited to just opening the Chrome browser, unless a full install is done.
    I did not use it as a dual boot as that would need further testing, on a lesser used computer.

4. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Now this doesn't surprise me at all...

Installed the 'Recovery' app in Chrome. Upon launching it, I get 'Linux is not supported at this time. Please see the Chromebook Help Center for more details...'

Where it immediately informs me that 'this process is only possible for users of Windows or MacOS'.

Well, that lets me out. We haven't used Windoze in this house for at least 7 or 8 years.....and it'll be a cold day in hell before you'll catch me using any of Crapple's products. An extremely frustrating spell with an incredibly balky Apple Lisa back in the late 80's removed any love I might have possibly had for anything coming out of Cupertino. For all time..!

Honestly, you'd think 'cloud'-based apps (of any kind) would be platform-agnostic, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Shame.....but Puppy does everything I want, so it's not such an issue, when all's said & done!

Mike.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Haven't tried it, but by it's description, Peppermint OS apparently uses elements from the Chromium Project and it can be installed on DVD and flash drives.
    It also supports Firefox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint_Linux_OS
    Interesting.

6. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

I hadn't thought about this. How is it that with the dvd/cd, the transfer (to ram I assume) is sufficient to allow removal of the disk, whereas transfer from the usb requires that the stick remain inserted? Is the data not transferred from the stick, but continually being read from?

7. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ John:-

Actually, that's not as 'unique' as Peppermint would have you believe. Up until a few releases back, Chrome would permit you to run any specific site in its own dedicated window.....as a Chrome 'app'.

I detailed the process in the following thread on the Puppy forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112072

Initially, I did this with NetFlix; one click on the dedicated NetFlix icon in Pup's bottom tray 'launcher area', and I was straight away logged-in, and ready to start 'vegging-out'.

This is mostly possible for me because the majority of my Pups are 32-bit.....and all run the very last, 32-bit Linux Chrome release available; 48.0.2564.116. Still fully functional and very usable.....and at that point in time, the Chrome 'app' functionality was still alive & very much 'kicking'! (y)

Mike. ;)

Johnny b likes this.
  8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    With a CD or DVD install, everything on the discs is copied into memory, nothing more is needed to make a desktop function. All saving to the CD or DVD is done at the end of a session when the computer is turned off. Removal of the CD or DVD will avoid anything being written to those discs. The CD/DVD will not get corrupted, it simply stays the same as when you first booted up.

With a USB flash drive, the Puppy OS operates differently. Many live linux OS's write back to the flash drive frequently much like MS Windows does to a hard drive, however Puppy is set up to write back less frequently and also at shutdown. It puts less stress on the flash drive.
    In this scenario, the flash drive will not unmount while the computer is still on, so you risk corrupting the drive if you physically remove it before turning off the computer.

This is why I'm going to try out a flash drive with a security write switch. It won't allow write backs unless I allow it.

8biosdrive likes this.
  9. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    We-e-e-lll... To cut a long story short; you can remove the DVD because that won't hurt anything.

With the USB drive, since your save-file/folder (where all your personal settings go) needs to remain 'mounted' (to allow the periodic 'saves' to occur at their default, 30-minute intervals), pulling it out and re-inserting when it suits you would have the unfortunate side effect of totally corrupting the file-system.

However, you can set Puppy up so that it only asks if you want to save at the end of a session, when you want to shut-down. In this instance, you need to have enough RAM for Puppy to be able to run the save-file/folder from the /tmp directory, prior to writing the changes back to the USB at the end of the session.

(Puppy has one unique feature that sets it apart from all other operating systems.....and that is the ability to be able to save session changes back to the DVD itself. No other OS in the world can do this.)

In this respect, despite optical discs being a very old, 'mature' technology, they're still more 'robust' than anything built with chips inside it..! It's also why optical discs are still recommended for long-term data archiving, despite the relatively low capacities; the life-time is quoted in the hundreds of years, under ideal storage conditions.... No HDD/SSD can achieve anywhere near this kind of duration.

And data-centers still use high-density tape drives for data backup!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    8biosdrive likes this.
  10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I missed the shut down/ save option you mentioned for a flash drive, when I set up the system.

Where/when was that presented so I don't miss it again? ( LOL )

Can it be applied to a current setup?

Thanks

John :)

11. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ John:-

Well, it's not something I've ever done myself. My Pups all run from hard drive, so Puppy effectively saves everything to the save-files that I use as it occurs. This is all to do with what's called 'Pup-mode', apparently.

Go into Menu->System->Puppy EventManager, tab 'Save Session'. It will tell you what Pup-mode you're running in; since you're running from a USB drive, and periodically saving back to your save-file, it should be an 'odd' number.

There should be a wee box at the bottom of this tab, where you can specify the save-interval. If you set this to '0' (=never), you should find that you only get asked whether or not you wish to 'save' at shutdown. If you don't, just tell Puppy 'No'.....and the session disappears into thin air.

(In my case, running from hard drive, this box is 'greyed-out', since it's not applicable.)

That's how it's supposed to work.....but like I said, I can't vouch for this one from personal experience! If you decide to give this a try, let me know what happens, please.

Mike. ;)

12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks Mike.

Have done and will wait with bated breath to see how it works :D

(y)

John :)

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Works exactly the way I want.......thanks again Mike :)

John

14. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    update:

For reasons unknown by me, those settings didn't survive a reboot.

:confused:

Anyway, I have a USB drive coming that has a security switch that should do what I want.

Thanks for your time Mike :)

John

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice