1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Light switch not working

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by MalteseMommy, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MalteseMommy

MalteseMommy Thread Starter

Hi! This is my first post. I found this site when Googling. I hope I am posting in the right place. I have a 2-switch light switch. One switch (which goes to an outside light which is mounted right on the outside wall behind the switch). That switch stopped working about a month after a new light fixture was installed outside. Now the second switch which controls a ceiling fan in my living room has stopped working (about 6 months after the other one stopped working). I have not had this problem fixed. I am going to have a new ceiling fan installed and yesterday my brother-in-law got handy and took down the old fan and capped it off until I can get the ceiling painted and a new fan installed. Now I am worried that he acted too hastily and that the switch in the wall should have been totally working BEFORE he took down the fan..., but, anyway, I guess one of my major questions is I don't think the housepainters who installed the new outside fixture after painting my house caulked the fixture at all... do you think that humidity got into the outside fixture and maybe this double switch which is right behind it??? Is that what caused the wall switch to stop working??? What would you do now not having a fixture on the ceiling to test the second switch?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have a volt meter and how confident are you with electricity
    not somehting to play with unless you know what you are doing
    also i do not know the law in your country - which may require an electrician to be involved

I would
    1) Make sure the outside fitting has power
    2) Make sure the bulb works
    3) make sure that power is getting to the switch
    4) Check the switch(s) are working
    5) check the cables back to the fan & outside light
    6) Yes, you can have water getting into the switch and causing issues

3. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

Maybe you could first just remove the switch cover plate and take a look inside.

4. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Welcome to the TSG site! Thanks for dropping by! :)

There were some really great suggestions given above. Typically, wiring installations don't give you trouble, until something is disrupted. My first inclination is that something in the light switch outside was possibly wired incorrectly.

If someone is looking at the light outside, if this is a120VAC application, there should be a wire nut on each individual wire (the wires shouldn't wire in the same wire nut).

Are there other problems with the circuit? any other plugs not working?

How do you know the switch to the outside stopped working? Couldn't it be a bulb burned out?

Did a breaker/fuse go out during any of this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice