1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lightning and surge protection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Viracocha711, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viracocha711

Viracocha711 Guest Thread Starter

I just bought a new HDTV; surround sound system; PS3; plus I have a computer...All of these tech toys I need to protect from lightning and surges...I have no problem finding surge protection w/ insurance, but none actually say lightning...All of these are right in the same area and I need something with phone; cable; protection as well.

I am looking for some advice from those who know what I need to buy?

Thanks!

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

The insurance will cover lightning surges, too. It covers any surge coming out of where you plug the surge protector, not what caused the surge (I think) .

3. valis

valis Moderator

nothing will protect your system from a dead on lightening strike.....you can get a lightning rod for your house, that would be the best idea, but if you don't want to go that route get the surge protectors that offer like 50k in reimbursement if your stuff gets cooked by a strike.....they can't protect against it, but they are betting that you won't get hit.....

4. jackdw

jackdw

There is something called a lightning protector. Don't know all the details but it had something to do with gases and if too much current came through (ie, lighning strike) something would fall voer and earth it all. It's not a surge protector, but a heavy duty thing.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can get a whole house surge protector, it's installed at the service entrance.

6. valis

valis Moderator

waits for the punchline.........

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's expensive. :D

8. valis

valis Moderator

kinda what I gathered....a tinfoil beanie for the house.....what next?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice