Lightning and surge protection?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Viracocha711

I just bought a new HDTV; surround sound system; PS3; plus I have a computer...All of these tech toys I need to protect from lightning and surges...I have no problem finding surge protection w/ insurance, but none actually say lightning...All of these are right in the same area and I need something with phone; cable; protection as well.

I am looking for some advice from those who know what I need to buy?

Thanks!

The insurance will cover lightning surges, too. It covers any surge coming out of where you plug the surge protector, not what caused the surge (I think) .

valis

nothing will protect your system from a dead on lightening strike.....you can get a lightning rod for your house, that would be the best idea, but if you don't want to go that route get the surge protectors that offer like 50k in reimbursement if your stuff gets cooked by a strike.....they can't protect against it, but they are betting that you won't get hit.....

There is something called a lightning protector. Don't know all the details but it had something to do with gases and if too much current came through (ie, lighning strike) something would fall voer and earth it all. It's not a surge protector, but a heavy duty thing.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can get a whole house surge protector, it's installed at the service entrance.

valis

JohnWill said:
You can get a whole house surge protector, it's installed at the service entrance.

waits for the punchline.........

valis

kinda what I gathered....a tinfoil beanie for the house.....what next?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online