1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lightning struck and now my ethernet port is having issues..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheTrevDawg, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheTrevDawg

TheTrevDawg Thread Starter

a few days ago lightning struck my house, was a weird experience as the power flashed out for about half a second and there was a very loud crack. The only lasting effect seemed to be that our router didn't work. The router itself would no longer turn on leaving us without internet for a few days. We called our internet provider and they came out and replaced the router and got everything back to normal, i thought. I decided to get back on the computer after they replaced the router and to my dismay I couldn't connect to the internet. I tried a ton of things but it wasn't even showing up as connected to the router ( I use Ethernet). My computer is plugged to a surge protector so I don't think my computer was directly affected by the lightning strike. The issue that I think happened is that the lightning strike somehow affected my computer through my Ethernet which was plugged into the struck router and my computer. I think it somehow managed to fry my Ethernet because I purchased a new Ethernet which I tried on another computer so I know it works and it won't even register as plugged into my computer, anybody have any clue whats happening or if there is a fix for it? Would I have to replace the entire CPU? Everything else is functioning on my computer so idk. all help appreciated :).

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Sounds like it probably damaged your Ethernet card if that is it then you were very lucky. Your easiest option would be to purchase a wireless or wired USB network adapter.

3. TheTrevDawg

TheTrevDawg Thread Starter

can I not replace the Ethernet card? currently am running on a USB network adapter but as an avid PC gamer I much prefer a stable Ethernet connection over a USB wifi chip

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Have you already bought an Ethernet Network card ? If so try turning the built-in Ethernet card off in the Bios, the card may work then. What version of Windows is on the PC ?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TTD:
    I've had thunderstorms and lightning kill the integrated ethernet device in 3 desktops during the past few years.
    I solved the problem each time by installing an ethernet card and its driver.
    That's one reason why I keep a couple of ethernet cards in my computer parts box.

You didn't describe your desktop and say how old it is, so it should have a PCI slot or a PCI Express x1 slot for adding an ethernet card.
    Make sure you know what type slot is available before you buy one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice