1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lightning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KENNY, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

After a thunderstorm, my monitor was out, and my modem not working. I bought a new modem (external), borrowed a monitor , and I'm back in business. Now, before I throw away my monitor (e-machines, 17 in flat screen) any ideas what to look for ? I opened it, checked the fuse...it's good, and checked the circuit board for damage...can't see anything. Anyone with a prior experience ?

2. happyrck

happyrck

try plugging the monitor into a different computer...no joy you probably have a monitor funeral to attend

3. KENNY

KENNY Thread Starter

I just plugged it into the wall...switch doesn't light....dum da ta dum ta dum ta dum ya dum !

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Also now expect a plague of failures from the rest of the hardware.

Nothing beats lightning to shorten the life of a few thousand components...

5. dobbelina

dobbelina

I would definitively take the monitor to a repair shop and get an estimate how much a
    repair would cost.
    If it's cheap, then you have a spare monitor for only a few bucks.
    If it's to expensive, let it R.I.P.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Bench price for estimate could be more than replacement of the monitor and you get a real warranty on new one!

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Heck you shoudl be able to get a good 17" monitor for well under $150 these days. Likely it's not how you would have preferred to spend the money.

8. dobbelina

dobbelina

I just had my 17" crt monitor repaired by a shop where I live (Thailand),
    10$ it cost me.
    Better than throwing up a hundred dollars that a new one would cost me (y)
    (Samsung)

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Nice if you can do it...we had no clue where you are. Replacement costs would be huge elsewhere and labor cheap so that changes the picture drastically.

10. dobbelina

dobbelina

Yep, sometimes living in a "banana republic" has it advantages :D
    When I go to the hair dresser here, it usually costs me 80 cents for a "cut & shave" !

Offcourse, the standards to how things get done here, isn't always what we, as a foreigner would expect.
    But i'm sure impressed by the (Otherwise tv repairman's) work on my dear old Samsung
    monitor. (comes with guaranree to)

11. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon All, yes if you take a monitor to get a quotation for repair ir is common to have to pay a quotation fee. (Usually $50) This may be duducted if the quotation is accepted from the final price.

I gave up with repairs on these things and TV's simply because a new item is usually cheaper than a spare part (say an EHT transformer and a couple of transistors or a chip) and a small labour charge.
    We can buy an 86 CM TV here as cheap as Aus$300 and a 17 inch monitor (flat screen) for around Aus$150. It just doesn't pay to repair anything anymore!

A chap brought a TV remote control to me, his kids had played with it and obviously put the batteries in about face, it was slightly history! (No can fix)
    I saw him later and he said he paid Aus$80 for a same brand replacement, I didn't have the heart to tell him he could have gotten a new 51 CM TV for Aus$100. (complete with a new remote control)

That was sad the recently where that young Aussie girl from here was shot up your way Dobbelina. She just walked into a bar!
    The place was sprayed with automatic fire from a couple of chaps on a passing motorbike.

Do be careful.
    qldit.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can still get the HANNS 19" LCD for $120 after rebate from PCCONNECTION. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice