Lightning!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

photogasm

So lightning hit REALLY close to my apt today and my computer screen went black, but did not power off.

Everything is plugged into a Monster Power Surge protector.

Anyway, when I power my pc on now, all the fans and lights come on, but no video, just a black screen and 'no video signal.' The computer also does not beep (post).

So where do I start? I have another computer that is basically compatible parts wise, so I can swap stuff out thankfully, but in your opinion, where should I begin with this issue to find the problem fastest? Is it possible that more than 1 component fried, or does something like this usually fry the first thing it hits and stop there?

Thanks in advance.

-Will

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Just from personal experience, I had a very similar experience (with the same symptoms). It turned out to be the video card. So I'd start there. Next, probably move onto the memory. Make sure no cards are loose, or any loose cables, etc.

photogasm

The video card and screen are both ok. I swapped both out. It's something else. :(

My guess would be a failing Power Supply unit.
Try disconnecting the power cables to the Hard drive and CD/DVD drives and remove graphics card, then try booting.
If the computer posts (beeps) with these items disconnected it would point towards the PSU not putting out adequate power.

photogasm

If it was the PSU that got fried, would you say that there's a high chance that that is all that got hit? Or is it possible that something else friend along with the PSU?

Way to many unknowns to make an intelligent guess. PSU is as good a place to start as any.

There is now way to know if the failure resulted from the actual lightning energy getting into your computer or resulted from a massive surge on the input power line as a result of the strike. Isolating the affected components will be a hit and miss process and my not be limited to any single piece of hardware. Keep notes and go through it methodically.

Raybro

photogasm

As far as I can tell, the PSU, video card, and screen are all ok.

Starting to check the other components now.

Meh.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online