1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lightroom 3 won't recognize edits in moved files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Cetaceous, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I recently got a couple of new hard drives. I meticulously moved all my Lightroom files onto the new drives and renamed them so they would have the same drive letters as the previous files.

When I opened Lightroom I was able to see all my files in their proper places, but my edits all disappeared!

I reloaded Lightroom from a previous backup, and now (of course) I cannot see my images any more.

How do I move my files to new hard drives but still keep all my edits intact?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What were these edits that have disappeared?

How did you rename the files so the drive letter would the same?

3. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I renamed the drives to reflect the original letters, so Lightroom would read the files in the same "location" they originally were. Which worked, but all my edits disappeared.

I think I might have figured it out though. I just reloaded a previous backup (so my edits would return) and then went into each folder that didn't show up correctly and asked it to find the location.

It's not as neat as I would like it, but my edits are there now and I can see all my files and images.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!