1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limit Downlaod speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaD_KiLLeR, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaD_KiLLeR

MaD_KiLLeR Thread Starter

Hey,

Is there a way to limit another computers download speed. because my friend's brother downloads way too much of the allowed data and he wants to slow his download speed down so he doesn't use so much.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    MaD

2. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Does he download most of his stuff through a torrent program? If so, he should be able to limit it through that, stuff like surfing oronline gaming take up a fraction of video downloads.

3. MaD_KiLLeR

Nah he just uses firefox, dls crap from the web.

4. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Changing download speed won't make any difference - he'll download the same amount, just in a slower time.

Does he actually have a message from his ISP that he's downloading too much?

5. MaD_KiLLeR

But if his download speed is capped, he wont download bigger things because it will take to long, his brother wouldn't dl much is his speed was slow, and no they dident get a letter but the went over the limit and yeah 15c per mb and he went over agb = 150$

so do you know of a way to cap his speed and only his speed?

6. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Limiting the speed is not worth it, simply because speed is not the problem here. He could still download the same amount.

He needs a tool to log how much data he has downloaded and warn him when he is about to exceed that amount.

I don't know of any tools off the top of my head, do a search for a "download monitor".

Here is an example

7. MaD_KiLLeR

he wont listen to a monitor tool hes a kid he knows the bandwith is nearly up and dosent even considering stopping his downlaods, trust me if he see lag in his youtube videos, he'll just stop watching them same for trailer, and downloading stuff, only need it for the end of the month, trust me it would work i just cant figure out how to limit it.

8. DOOGLER1

DOOGLER1

9. yajnchan

yajnchan

You could try the old fashioned method.
    Give him a long, long lecture about the dangers of internet addiction.
    Tell him that if he doesn't shape up you will talk to his parents(?)

If he still is so stubborn he doesn't listen, I agree that an alert might not make him stop.

Do you have an internet security program on his computer?
    Most have parental control features that allow you to restrict internet at certain times of day. I don't know about bandwidth, but that may help.

Hope it helps you!

(I have a sister that does the same thing, but our problem is more with speed than cost. She freezes up everyone's connections by watching 3 youtube videos and downloading 10 2 MB pictures at the same time. She is our network's 'start point')

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

Check into the QoS settings in your router. Most have some kind of percentage based throttle function built in.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!