1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited Access to Wireless Please Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by golferguy, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Hey everybody! I attempt to log onto my parent's (golferguy) wireless network. It says under view your active networks: unidentified network (public network). Access type: No network access Connections: has the correct network name. When I click on hidden icons, it says that I have full reception but it says limited access.
    I emailed my dad, and he said to look in the network details. He Ggoogled problem and we both found:

my autoconfiguration IPv4 starts with 169 not 192 like his. Also, the subnet masks are different. Finally, I have no info in the IPv4 default Gateway, IPv4 DNS Server, and IPv4 WINS Server. His does. Please help.

Golferguy's intelligent yet computer illiterate daughter:D

Happy Thanksgiving!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Delete your wireless profile and try again.

If that doesn't work then disable encryption on the router (and make sure MAC Address filtering is disabled) and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. If still unsuccessful ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Hey TerryNet! Golferguy here. My son has the exact same issue with his laptop. Ours are working fine. The router is a Linksys E3000. I just accessed the routers IP address and have the Cisco setup page open. Found the Wireless MAC Filter it is disabled. How do we delete her profile? Also, where do I find encryption for the router? Please be patient with me this is pretty daunting to me.

Thanks

Golferguy

4. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

TerryNet, Must sign off for the night. Early to work. Found a video on how to remove the wireless profile/network. Will try tomorrow to remove and try again as you suggest. Will post the result tomorrow. Thanks!

Golferguy

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Router's encryption setting is usually in the Wireless section and called Encryption or Security Mode.

6. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

TerryNet, I'll give it a look asap and will post what I see. I deleted the network from my daughter's list and attempted to reconnect. No Go. Both kids said the wireless at thier apartments works fine. Just on ours. Does the fact that the IP address starts with 169 on their computers mean anything? Thanks!

Golferguy

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, it means no Dhcp server responded to a request for an IP configuration; probably an encryption issue.

8. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

TerryNet, must take kids back to college tonight. Won't have the offending computers available for a bit. I will check the router's encryption setting, when I get back tomorrow in the AM, as you suggested and will post the results. Thanks for being patient.

Golferguy

9. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

TerryNet, apologies for delayed response. Under Wireless-Wireless Security it says WPA2/WPA Mixed for both 2.4GHz and 6GHz is selected. I believe I saw on my kids computers they were set for WPA2 Personal. The choices I have are:
    WPA2/WPA Mixed
    WPA2 Personal
    WPA Personal
    WEP
    Radius
    Disabled

Any other info you need please let me know. Obviously, I can change router settings now. However, the earliest I can make changes on their computers could be this weekend. Thanks.

Golferguy

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Set the encryption to 'Disabled,' but no sense doing that until you're ready to test the computer(s). See post # 2.

11. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

TerryNet, Will that cause my network to be unsecured? Definitely don't want to go down that road. Thanks.

Golferguy

12. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

TerryNet, unfortunately, I won't be able to run the checks until the 17th at the earliest. Computers are needed for finals. I'll post the results of your suggestions asap. Thanks!

Golferguy

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice