1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited Connectivity-Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kelly627, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelly627

Kelly627 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Recently upgraded to Vista, everything went fine until i tried to access my internet. First off i am directly connected to the Modem, and have tried restared comp and modem ect. I have also tried using one of my other network connections but with no luck. I am able to get connceted to an unidentified network but not to the interent. My internet was working with no problems in XP. I have tried everything the i could think of and searched way to many forums. if anyone has a suggestion besides going back to XP it would be much appreciated.

2. unbidden

unbidden

Was your upgrade an install over XP or did you run a format and clean install?

Did you try downloading and installing a Vista driver for your network card or is the card using the native Vista driver?

3. IanE

IanE

also the upgrade version is unstable.

4. Kelly627

Kelly627 Thread Starter

I fisrt just tried upgrading from my current xp without a clean install well that didnt work so i then installed xp clean got all updates ect. and then installed vista....

my network card is using the native vista driver

Update: just updated my motherboard driver from nvidia still same problem also checked event log i am getting an error message 4198 "The system detected an address conflict with the IP address******* with the system having the network hardware address as ****. The local interface has been disabled.

It appears i have been getting these errors everytime i try to connect. The ip addresss is different in each one, hardware address remains constant.

5. unbidden

unbidden

6. Kelly627

Kelly627 Thread Starter

Well after completing a clean install..still no luck. Then after an excrutiating 2 1/2 hour phone call to microsoft, which didnt do shi* i decided to do some research on every peice on networking equipment i have. Lastly i checked my modem and found out it was to blame, uncompatible with vista. So anyone with a Zoom model modem that is having this same problem call your ISP and tell them you have vista and they will get you a new modem asap.

Thank you all for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/674835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice