1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by geodav52, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geodav52

geodav52 Thread Starter

I am experiencing the dreaded 'limited' connectivity issue. Ihave a Dell Studio 1725 on which I installed Windows 8 a couple of monthsago. I use a Telstra Mobile WI-FI 4G Hotspot (aka a Sierra 760SHotspot) to connect to the internet This problem has happened a fewtimes in the couple of months that I have has Win 8 installed and Iresolve it by stopping and starting the connection but since a recent tripto Melbourne it has been continuous and nothing will fix it. Itstarted when I tried to connect to the internet in an apartment we were stayingat in the CBD where I was looking forward to seeing the 4G capability work, butalas, all I saw was the limitedconnectivity and no internet connection.

A few days later when I visited my son in outer Melbourne I experiencedthe same problem with the hotspot, however, my Dell Studio Notebook quitehappily connected to the internet via his hotspot which tells me that there isnothing wrong with the Notebook or drivers, thus I figured my Sierra wasplaying up. However, on returning home and returning my Sierra toits cradle I found that it is working without issue on a Dell Inspirion6400 and ‘no name’ Desktop both running Win 8 but not on my Dell Studio.

I have carried out the normal activities of switching all off andrestarting, resetting devices and have tried the following proposed solutions withoutsuccess:

Solution One

"ipconfig /release"
    "ipconfig /renew"
    restart computer

Solution Two

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock resetcatalog
    Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 resetreset.log
    Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 resetreset.log
    Reboot the machine.

It does seem clear that there is something wrong with the handshakingbetween my Studio and the Sierra but it has ne beat!!! Doesanybody have any ideas as this is becoming very circular?

Shown below is a dump of my system usingthe Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2

OS Version:Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    ProcessorCount: 2
    RAM: 3581 Mb
    GraphicsCard: Microsoft Basic Render Driver, 19 Mb
    Hard Drives:C: Total - 114370 MB, Free - 80393 MB; E: Total - 715401 MB, Free - 519679 MB;
    Motherboard:Dell Inc.,
    Antivirus:Windows Defender, Disabled

Thanks in advance.

2. cubewebsolutions

cubewebsolutions

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It gets confusing when somebody is getting help on multiple forums, so it is a bad idea to suggest somebody post elsewhere unless we have to admit defeat here.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site (assuming that you are using an integrated adapter).

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

4. geodav52

geodav52 Thread Starter

I have installed the latest driver from the Dell Site for my Studio 1735, albeit from 12/01/2009, and this worked well for several weeks. Also it does not make sense as to why it worked straight up on my son's hotspot without any intervention whatsoever and my hotspot is working fine as I am using it now from my desktop PC. I would happily admit defeat and simply do a system restore except that this does not want to work either, it reports that I have to switch off my Anti Virus software (Norton Premier) which I have done to no avail!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Norton and run the Removal Tool. You can reinstall it if desired after testing.

6. geodav52

geodav52 Thread Starter

Uninstalled Norton and ran the removal tool but to no avail!:(

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Post # 1:

Post # 4:

Question Dell on how they created a Windows 8 driver that long ago, and it there isn't possibly the need for an update now that Windows 8 has actually been released. In the meantime try the driver directly from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice