1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited internet Download and Upload speeds

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Suddenflame, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Suddenflame

Suddenflame Thread Starter

I am having issues with download and upload speeds on my computer. I have narrowed it down to my computer as every other computer on the network has 26Mbps DL and 2.5 UL speeds where as my computer is limited to a 16Mbps DL and 0.4 Mbps UL. I originally thought it was my Wifi card but when I did a direct connection using a Ethernet cord from my motherboard ether port to modem the speeds did not improve at all.

My Computer:

Windows 8 Pro (tried 10 times to get it to upgrade to 8.1 and that fails as well and reverts back to 8)

Intel i-7 3770k

32GB of RAM

Motherboard:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

If someone could help me I would be greatly appreciative!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm assuming you have a custom built desktop.

Install the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's web site. Then install the latest ethernet driver from the same source. Then install the latest wireless driver from the same source or the adapter manufacturer's site.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

3. Suddenflame

I have attached images indicating the drivers I am currently using along with two speed tests done on this computer and a laptop. The laptop speed tests have been verified to be the correct speed as 3 other computers have been tested on it. The slower speed test was done with only my computer on the network directly plugged into the modem and again using the WiFi. The speed results ended up the same as if the max speed was capped. Computer is custom built.

Both all drivers on the computer are fully updated. Firewall in use is the default firewall from Windows 8. No 3rd person anti-virus or firewall is installed. Talking with support for my motherboard and they want to replace it but I do not want to take apart my entire computer unless I really have to. It still receives internet, but it appears to be capped for some reason.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why?

Why?

5. Suddenflame

Talking with my Motherboard support to see why from multiple different perspectives and the ethernet port is part of the mother and the WiFi card is connected to the motherboard. Their reasoning for wanting to replace is never stated but the support person had me update all drivers as well and sent me the links for the drivers. When that didn't work he sent:

"Hi Anthony,

Sorry about that. Our customer service will contact you (via email) for replacement.

Please also check junk/spam mail incase mail filter has sent to that folder.

Thank you"

So I rather not replace if that support only idea was to update drivers. But the problem still exists and updating drivers does not seem to be the issue.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's not the drivers and it's not the hardware (which is my suspicion at this point) then it must be something you have running. Most likely would be you using torrents or you are infected with spyware or you are using a firewall or anti-malware application that is corrupted.

7. Agye

Agye

you should check some of the programs you have been using my sister in-law was using a program for streaming Netflix from US and it caused the same problem we uninstalled and restarted and the network came back I also did a BIOS update which I don't think you need it in your case

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!