Limited/No Internet Connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cmoor

Hello, my issues seems to be a little bit of everything revolving one issue. Main thing, no internet connectivity in Windows 10.
I had just bought a new Wi-Fi PCI card to replace another one. Main reason I wanted a new one was because of the antenna length. Hoping for better connectivity. Go figure, waste of money, but that wasn't all. After inserting the card into the proper slot in my PC then turning it on, I had noticed that, as all devices do when connected to a PC, already had it's driver installed. Seen it was only giving limited access though so I inserted the given disc to finish the installation of the driver. The install wizard seemed to be hanging for roughly 5 minutes and wouldn't let me cancel it. Task manager won't pop either. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't seem to be working either. Okay so let me just restart it, and still no luck. After continuously hitting the shut down button, everything happened at once and began to shut down. Turn it back on, still no internet. Felt kind of defeated so I turned it back off, popped the new card out, and placed the new one in. Still showing limited internet connection. Uninstalled the driver for the new card and even removed it from Device Manager. Restart. Still no connection.
I begin to check in Command Prompt and see the dreaded 169 IPv4 address. Might I add my IP used to start out 64.188.etc etc. Not 169.
Screenshot_1.png

First thing I do is ipconfig /release only to get this message:
Screenshot_2.png

Okay so no dice there, how about ipconfig /renew. Why not?
Screenshot_3.png

Just for the heck of it I tried to diagnose the network connection only to be left with this message:
Screenshot_4.png

Now I'm completely at a blank. I've tried a few options online such as the forum sticky: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-dhpc-issues-loss-of-internet-connection.1182218/
But I haven't had any luck on that either.
I also tried setting my own IP and setting the gateway address manually in the network properties. The same as it is showing on my router.

For the added info, this is the new one I picked up:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315149

And my old PCI Wi-Fi adapter:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=tp_link_tl_wdn4800-_-33-704-133-_-Product

If you have an suggestions or recommendations for me to try out I am more than willing but restarting my PC from scratch is the last thing I want to do. Thank you for the interest and hopefully I'm not the only one whose ran into this problem.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Can you connect to the internet using some other device?
If not, then I would say that the IP address from your is the one that is not valid.

Have you restarted the modem?

Cmoor

Yeah I can connect to my router from my phone, laptop, and so can others using it. It's just my pc. I have also tried restarting the modem.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
64.188.etc etc. Not 169...

Yeah I can connect to my router from my phone, laptop, and so can others using it. It's just my pc. I have also tried restarting the modem.
This would not be possible unless you put your computer in a passthrough on the router. That is a Public IP address and routers will give the computer typcially a 10.x.y.z or a 192.168.z.y number.

What modem and router do you have?

Also try this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)

For windows Vista or Windows 7
Hold the Windows key and press R
Now type CMD
Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
  • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
  • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen )
Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Resetting , failed. - This error will occur with windows 10 , so ignore.
Access is denied. - This error will occur with windows 8 and windows 10 , so ignore.
But running TCP/IP reset still can resolve issues , even with the above errors.

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Cmoor

Yeah sorry I meant a 192.168.#.# number.
Modem is some motorola brand(had it for maybe a 4 years now) and the router is a WD My Net N600. Fairly new yet.
As mentioned, other devices can connect to the internet no problems. I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz enabled and cannot connect to either.

Here is a screenshot of the command prompt I did(still no success):
Screenshot_5.png

Also like to add that I've done this countless times so I knew it wouldn't work. Just giving proof.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, can you connect direct to the router or modem and see if you can connect that way?

TerryNet

Terry
Is there a Windows 10 driver from the manufacturer for either of those wireless adapters? If so, do you have it installed?

Go to start search and type:- powershell right click on the returned powershell.exe and select "run as administrator" a powershell cmd window will open.

Copy the below text, and in the powershell cmd window, right click, the text will append to the cmd prompt(no need to paste). Press enter, a notepad will open please copy paste the notepad output here. (copy text, highlighted in red for you)

Get-NetAdapter -Name "*" -IncludeHidden | Format-List -Property "Name", "InterfaceDescription", "InterfaceName" | out-file C:\adapter.txt
notepad C:\adapter.txt

Your first post has ipconfig, it shows an Atheros wifi adapter..and no default gateway.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your first post has ipconfig, it shows an Atheros wifi adapter..and no default gateway.
that's because the network adapter did not get an IP address from router in time so it self assigned an IP address

Please forgive spelling and misworded errors. My phone likes to autocorrect a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, yes I know that, my query is regarding the Atheros, the OP has made no mention of it

Cmoor

Go to start search and type:- powershell right click on the returned powershell.exe and select "run as administrator" a powershell cmd window will open.

Copy the below text, and in the powershell cmd window, right click, the text will append to the cmd prompt(no need to paste). Press enter, a notepad will open please copy paste the notepad output here. (copy text, highlighted in red for you)

Get-NetAdapter -Name "*" -IncludeHidden | Format-List -Property "Name", "InterfaceDescription", "InterfaceName" | out-file C:\adapter.txt
notepad C:\adapter.txt

Sorry for no update of this in awhile but I did what you mentioned and attached I have the adapter.txt
And yes the Aetheros adapter is what I am using for wifi
Also before this, I have tried a PC Reset from the windows 10 startup option. It did indeed fix it. As well as removing a few things of course other than personal files. I tried plugging in the new adapter and it worked also. Found it is actually no better, yet worse, so I ended up removing it and may use it later for another computer build. Unfortunately, after turning my PC back on, I now have this issue again. Apparently my computer doesn't like it being removed. Could it be something in the registry?

Attachments

Cmoor

OK, can you connect direct to the router or modem and see if you can connect that way?
I'd rather not move this PC from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor but I will give this a try when I can.

Is there a Windows 10 driver from the manufacturer for either of those wireless adapters? If so, do you have it installed?
Drivers up to date. I'm pretty up tight about keeping everything updated

Cmoor

Just tried connecting directly to the router. no luck, same issue. Might want to add that my WiFi adapter and Ethernet port are separate. I have onboard Ethernet.

TerryNet

Terry
What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Hi, thanks for that, windows only see's two hardware devices (the rest are software) they are:-

Name : Wi-Fi
InterfaceDescription : Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter
InterfaceName : wireless_32768

Name : Ethernet
InterfaceDescription : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
InterfaceName : ethernet_32768

I take it you are using the Atheros, and the Ethernet is disabled, the Atheros drivers are up to date?

EDIT:- just saw Terry's post this is a good question, if you have they need to be properly removed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online