1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited or no connectivity alert when connected through router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kamalshelley, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kamalshelley

kamalshelley Thread Starter

Hi,

I connected my desktop with n300netgear -router. It was working fine until I reset it. After that I am facing this problem of not able to access internet. It shows limited or no no connectivity. But when I plug the internet cable directly to my desktop its working fine. When I connect it via router I am getting this problem. Help me. Thanks in advance.

C:\Documents and Settings\nagaraj>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : raj
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-27-0E-31-EC-29
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.145.240
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

2. ETech7

ETech7

Try resetting it once again. Looks like DHCP server on your router doesn't work (assuming you have connected everything right).

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would have to disagree with this only because the default gateway setting is blank. This means that the computer isn't even reaching the router at all, so I don't think DHCP is the problem.

I would try removing the wireless profile and then reconnecting to the router. You do this by going into network and sharing center, then manage wireless networks. Delete the existing network you are trying to connect to and after that in network and sharing center, select connect to a network. Find the network from before and make sure you enter the password and such correctly. If you don't know how to do this, post back with what OS you have.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be a defective cable, defective router LAN port, defective NIC, a Dhcp server issue, or a firewall blocking.

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    If it was dhcp, wouldn't the router still be able to assign the computer a default gateway setting? Without that setting, there is no connection between the computer and router, so I wouldn't see how dhcp could be a problem or at least the bigger problem.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    purduebmaker7
    IP 169.254.x.x
    An IP adress of 169.254.x.x is the autoconfiguration address that Windows assigns (Microsoft APIPA) is a DHCP failover mechanism, when it cannot find a dhcp service, so something is either blocking access or is not running

The following list, are things to try.

Diagnosis:

1. If connected to Modem/Router by cable, check the cable is OK
    2. The PC does not have DHCP enabled -- from an ipconfig /all - Dhcp Enabled. . . : No - see below how to set IP and DNS to be automatically
    3. TCP/IP Stack corrupt - and requires a TCP/IP stack repair - see below how to do a
    4. PowerCycle.
    5. Try safemode with networking - see below
    6. Reset Router back to factory condition and reconfigure .

have you now or in the past had a trail/full version of a security suite like, Norton, mcafee, AVG, Kaspersky or any other security suite, Most Manufacturers will supply a free trail with the PC.

kamalshelley asTerrynet explained - please check those settings
    also

does any other device connect to the router at all ?
    why did you reset the router ?
    look at the LAN settings on the router and see if DHCP is enabled on the router

do you have another model number on the router - N300 can be a generic name for a range of netgeear routers

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Alright. After messing around with the settings on my computer, you guys were right (no surprise there).

I know what 169 addresses are and understand what they are, but what was messing me up was the default gateway. For some reason, I was thinking that since you are connected to the router, it should automatically give you that setting. What I wasn't considering was the fact that no matter what, you will have an ip address. So if you can't get it from the router or you don't have it statically, etc, then you get a 169. Yes that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about and considering the fact that once you have a 169, you no longer have access to the router. Thanks for proving me wrong again guys.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not about "proving wrong" - not meant to be seen as that - just providing the correct information for all to learn from

also not just an ip of 169 the key is its 169.254.x.x

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice