1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

limited or no connectivity error

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cojeh, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cojeh

cojeh Thread Starter

Hi I hope someone can help me...

Been away for 6 weeks and I come back and my internet has stopped working. I am connected to an ethernet LAN through a linksys router and get the error of limited or no connectivity. I'm not an expert on this but i think the dhcp is not working - its just assigning me a 169. ip address and no defualt gateway or dns server.

I'm fairly convinced its something to do with the nic settings because a) i have 3 other computers working fine on the network, 2 using ethernet connection and 1 wirelessly connected, b) i have used the LAN port thats not working for my PC with a laptop and it works fine and c) the wireless connection works fine on the PC in question.

I have also tried a static IP on the ethernet connection to avail...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Jon.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First stop, try a new cable, and try one of the known working ports on the router. If that fails, try resetting the TCP/IP stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

3. cojeh

cojeh Thread Starter

hi thanks for your help. unfortunately just tried both of the above and still get the same error. After following the tcp/ip stack repair options the connection initially appeared to be ok i.e. said connected OK but the internet still didn't work. However, after one of the commands it said i needed to reboot which i did but when it logged back on its showing the limited connectivity status again.

Any ideas? Thanks again.

4. JohnWill

It's possible the NIC died while you were away. Maybe time to try a new NIC.

5. cojeh

cojeh Thread Starter

Is it possible it can die while just sitting there idle though? Also, if it had died wouldn't it be receiving nothing rather than the limited\no connectivity message?

Interestingly, when I activate my wireless connection on the PC and it finds an IP address suddenly the ethernet connection also finds an IP address via DHCP and appears functioning as normal, however the internet does not work at that point. If i disable the ethernet the internet then works via wireless and then if i disable the wireless and just leave the ethernet it goes back to limited or no connectivity again.

This all seems extremely weird - dunno if that sheds any light.

Thanks, Jon

6. JohnWill

Limited/no connectivity means it's receiving nothing. :)

Do you see both LED's on either end at the Ethernet jacks?

7. cojeh

cojeh Thread Starter

Yep both LEDs are on. However not flashing I assume this is because they're not sending or receiving anything?

8. JohnWill

Of the ones on the router end, at least one should be flashing.

This has all the earmarks of a bad NIC. If you eliminate the cable and the router jack, what's left. Since wireless works, the TCP/IP stack is obviously working. If the NIC appears with no errors in Device Manager, I'd have to guess it's simply dead.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice