1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited or No Connectivity Sucks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Redrhyno68, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Redrhyno68

Redrhyno68 Thread Starter

Hey, everybody I'm an avid gamer and my computer is really hurtin me. It seems that Connection to the Internet is becoming limited to only 45 minutes or so then a bubble on the tray says "Limited or No Connectivity". I have right clicked it and i have also clicked repair but none of this seems to work. But when i restart the computer it does again for another forty five minutes. I have also contacted my service provider and Dell but neither of them could help me without having a warranty. I thought it may have been a virus or spyware so i bought Norton 2008 antivirus with spyware but it failed to work as well. Im running on Windows Xp media edition with DSL from AT and T. I also have a family filter on my computer that blocks certain cites. So if anyone can shed light on this subject please help so i wont go crazy with frustation.

2. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

What kind of computer do you have? Have you installed the latest BIOS and NIC updates?

3. Redrhyno68

Redrhyno68 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 and i haven't updated my BIOS or the NIC ( It probably because im not sure what those are :eek:) , but im wanting to say the problem started when a new update of windows came out, but thats just a guess. I did try to replace my internet card, the card worked but it still timed out every 45 minutes so i just returned it and used the old one.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. Michael York

Michael York

Hello Redrhyno,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

An infection of some kind can cause intermittent network connectivity problems and can also cause problems with the installation of Norton. Make sure that you do not have any other antivirus or internet security suites installed, as they too can cause conflicts. The rule of thumb is that you never want to have more than one active antivirus or internet security suite installed to avoid conflicts and erratic behavior.

Also make sure that you have the latest drivers for your NIC card installed, as well as any Microsoft updates.

Are you sure that you purchased Norton AntiVirus 2008 or is it Norton Internet Security 2008? Either way, you are eligible for a free update to the 2009 version of the product you purchased which has many performance improvements and new features to keep your computer protected

Since you have already tried to install Norton and were not successful, please follow the steps below to properly uninstall, update, reinstall and scan with Norton.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is functioning and then download the 2009 installer for the Norton product you own.

Norton Update Center

Prior to installation the installer will run a scan on your computer to check for infections.

4. When the installation is complete, launch your Norton product and manually run LiveUpdate to make sure you have the latest program and definition files applied. When the updates are complete performa "Full System Scan" with Norton.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you,
    Mike

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice