1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited or no connectivity using LAN ethernet but can connect via WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by natalie1981, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natalie1981

natalie1981 Thread Starter

Hi. I'm having issues with my modem. Anyways, the problem started when I purchased a Linksys Wrt54G router.

I was connecting to the internet using LAN/ethernet okay. I tried setting up a wifi connection in my home using the linksys wrt54g router. Everything was working fine until after two days when I suddenly can't connect to the internet on my linksys. I tried to directly connect my modem through the ethernet to check if the problem was with my ISP. LAN says limited or no connectivity. I tried plugging the modem through my laptop, I found out that my laptop can connect to the internet using ethernet so the problem was not with my ISP. I had to reset my linksys router and set it up all over again. Wifi connection was okay again.

After three days, I can't get any connection again. I tried directly connecting the modem again to my laptop to check but my laptop says limited or no connectivity. I tried connecting directly to the ethernet on my PC, it says limited or no connectivity again. I tried resetting the Linksys router again and set up my connection again (hoping against hope) and miraculously, I was able to connect.

Now there seems to be a problem with my LAN connections both on my PC and laptop and it seems that only my linksys router can communicate with my modem (everytime I had to do a reset). I tried reseting tcp stack, etc. But my LAN connection is still limited or no connectivity. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, my modem is a motorola surfboard modem.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You do realize that you MUST turn off power to the modem for 30 seconds or more anytime you change the attached device, right? I suspect that's part of your issue when testing other combinations.

Some things you can try here.

1. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    2. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

3. natalie1981

natalie1981 Thread Starter

Like I said, I have tried EVERYTHING. That problem happened a day ago and until now I still can't connect my modem to my ETHERNET port, still says limited or no connectivity. And by ROUTER do you mean my Linksys WRT54G? If you read my post, I said that whenever I reset my Linksys WRT54G (Router/Wifi) I can connect to the internet but that's not my problem.

the PROBLEM is my LAN/ETHERNET port. My LAN/EThernet port on both my PC and laptop cannot communicate with my MODEM (Motorola Surfboard) thus the limited connectivity. But I don't think that the problem lies with my MODEM because when I connect my modem to my router/wifi (Linksys WRT54G) after the latter has been newly reset, I can connect to the internet with no problems.

That's where I'm stumped. I can usually diagnose or troubleshoot pc problems easily using Google but I can't seem to resolve the problem on this one. How can my LAN/Ethernet not connect directly to my modem but if I use my router/Wifi, it can connect to the internet?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Like I said, I have tried EVERYTHING."

Much of EVERYTHING will not work. Confirming that you power cycle the modem when switching devices would be helpful.

Have you reset the router to factory default settings?

Can you connect either or both PCs to the router via ethernet?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you've really tried everything, there's nothing more we can suggest! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice