limited or no connectivity... whats gone wrong?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scroogle

Hey, i recently formatted my comp but cant seem to reset my network back up. I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers (theres only two, and im using XP). I cannot share my connection or any of my files, yet the same ones from the old computer (before i formatted) are still showing up as if there were still there. I am also using Zone Alarm yet have turned off the firewall and there is still a problem. All cables are plugged in and the 1394 and Local Area Connection's 1 and 2 are all bridged. Please help.

Did you shut down XP's firewall also. I had a simular problem with my network. I can't explain why but even after I shut down zone alarm no network access. I enabled zone alarm and added the network address with permission to access and everything worked fine.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There shouldn't be any network bridge showing up. Can you describe your complete setup? Are you using ICS or a broadband router?

scroogle

ok, I have an ADSL Modem going connected to one ethernet port on the main computer (this computer). And from this computer another cord coming up of a different ethernet port leading to a switch. From there on i have another cord coming from the switch to the ethernet port on a different computer (the one with the limited or no connectivity). The internet (ADSL Broadband) works fine on this computer. In Network Connections i have 5 different things : A network bridge(it just came automatically when i ran the Network Setup Wizard, A 1394 Connection (same here), The broadband internet connection and local area connection 1 and 2. Everything is bridged bar the internet connection. Sorry for not making it clearer before, i hope this is enough to understand what might be going wrong.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hell, I'd just buy an inexpensive broadband router and dispense with ICS and all it's configuration issues! It's much easier to live with, and you don't need a server machine always on...

scroogle

I spent $70 on the switch. Id be wasting money if I bought a router because of configuration issues. So do you think I shouldn't use the network bridge, because i cant run the network setup wizard without a bridge. Is it best to remove the bridge and try to share the internet from the Local Area Connection that is running from this computer (the internet) to the switch?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
$70 for a switch! What is it, gold plated? :)

I don't really do ICS, and I have very little experience with it. I'll wait for someone to advise you on it's configuration.

scroogle

Ok, sorry i live in Australia so i guess it is US$35. I am running Windows XP Service Pack 1. The reason everything keeps getting bridged is that i keep running the Network Setup Wizard. This is what windows told me to do. It automatically bridges everything. I do not understand what is going wrong, it have now removed the bridge and i have 2 Local Area Connections and a 1394 connection, all cables are plugged in yet the other computer is complaining that there is no connectivity. I have closed down ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall, and all the lights are green on both my computers and the switch.

A router would have solved you problem in the first place -- 99.9% of home broadband routers come with a 4-port switch built-in as standard.

You need to quit using the Network Setup Wizard as it seems to generate bridges for no apparant reasons most of the time. You need to be looking at the properties of the Local Area Connections. The 1394 should not, I believe, be involved here.

You need to enable the ICS on the connection from the PC to the modem. How is the modem connected (ethernet? USB?)

Then the ethernet connection from the PC to the switch will be one of your Local Area Connections and it should be set to pick up IP adds automatically (from the DHCP server, which since you are using ICS and not using a router will be ICS). In other words the PC with the Internet connection has two connections; one to the modem and one to the switch (and that PC must always be on for other PCs to get to the internet -- yet another reason for having a router in the first place! :) )

scroogle

That's exactly how i hae it setup. The Internet PC to the moden, and another one to the switch, and from the switch, to another computer. Now THAT computer is saying there is no connectivity. I cannot share the internet.. OR files and folders. I apoligise if i did not make this clear. I have also now removed the bridge and still there is no connectivity on the other computer.

scroogle

sorry but this problem is ongoing and i dont want 2 make another post. I have found now i can share files from my client computer to my host computer but not the other way around. my client is still saying there is limited or no connectivity. could someone please help me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online