1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited or No Connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rofdjvs, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1918 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 101001 MB; F: Total - 78159 MB, Free - 19054 MB;
    Motherboard: Micro Star International, MS-7173R, A-13, 6310760883
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

The problem is I cannot connect to the internet and keep getting Limited or No Connectivity. I know the ethernet cable is good as I can connect using netbook with ethernet cable and the netbook can also connect to internet using wifi as well as cell phone so router works fine.

First I tried ipconfig -flushdns then netsh winsock reset and then reboot. Viola, it was fixed. I could connect to the net fine. Next morning, same Limited or No Connectivity error msg. Tried same fix but no luck this time. Then I tried netsh int ip reset reset.log followed with netsh winsock resetcatalog then reboot. Worked again. Then it broke again and the second fix would not work again either. I went and got the wireless adapter off my daughters computer and installed it in the desktop and viola I can connect to net using it. But I want to use the cable to desktop which up to a couple of days ago worked fine. Help

2. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

No. I am using an ethernet cable from router. I did install wireless adapter just to test my desktop to see if it would work and it did. But can't get the cable connection to work. And I know cable is good cuz when I plugged it into my netbook, I got a good connection then too.

3. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

HerMicrosoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-36141AB8FB
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-17-3B-4A-5F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.195.153
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.195.153

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>e are my ipconfig /all results:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install (or reinstall) the latest ethernet driver from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site?

What, if any, non-Windows security applications do, or did, you have on the machine?

5. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply TerryNet. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek network adapter several times but just did it again. Still get Limited or no connectivity. The strange thing to me is I was able to get this fixed twice already by using two different set of instructions like I said earlier just to have it go back to "limited or no connectivity". And could use each solutions only once. They did not work a second time. I do not have any non-windows security apps now but a couple of years ago I used AVG Antivirus.

6. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

Just reread your post and you said to reinstall driver from manufacturers website. I just used the driver already on my computer. I guess you are suggesting it may be corrupted. I actually did download the driver from the website earlier but was not successful is using it to reinstall the NIC card. For some reason even tho I had it on my desktop, the install wizard could not see it even using the browse and manual install option so I just forgot it.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall AVG if you did not already do so, and run the Remover.

The Realtek driver is the latest from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site? To me this is the most critical, as the wireless adapter worked for you.

With those two issues taken care of run the repairs again ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please post a link to the source of the driver.

9. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

Following your directions I
    1. Downloaded/installed/ran AVG remover on my desktop
    2. Tried again to install new LAN driver. I found it this time but computer said "could not find a better match" so I think it ignored it. It may be becuz it was the same driver, I don't know. Just guessing.
    3. Reran the TCP/IP stack repair commands...still got Limited or no connectivity
    4. Here is the text page that came with the driver...I hope it tells you what you want to know about "source". My computer is eMachines T3422 which is listed the bottom of the page.

I am about ready to throw in the towel and used the Jupiter pay for support option. Appreciate your help tho. I've spent two days on this now and have gotten nowhere.

10. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

Ooops, forgot to paste the nci card driver:

Information and Instructions about this download file

=======================
    File Description: Network Driver
    Version: RealTek 10100LAN 5.612.413.2004
    Operating System: Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP
    Part Number: D00297-001-001
    Date: 03/10/2006
    =======================

Table of Contents
    =======================
    Overview
    Installation
    Removal
    Troubleshooting
    Reason for Update
    Applicable Part/Model Numbers
    =======================

Overview

This is the Windows XP audio driver for the computers listed in the Applicable Part Numbers section of this document.

Installation

1. From the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. With Control Panel in Category View, double-click Performance and Maintenance.

3. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click System.

4. In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

5. In Device Manager, click the plus sign (+) in front of the type of device you want to install the drivers for, and then double-click the specific device to open the Properties dialog box.

6. In the Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

7. In the Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard dialog box, click No, not at this time, and then click Next.

8. Click Install from a list or specific location, and then click Next.

9. In the next Hardware Update Wizard dialog box, under Search for the best driver in these locations, click to
    clear the check mark from Search removable media (floppy, CD-ROM...), and that verify that Include this location in your search is selected.

10. In the text field, under Include this location in your search, type: C:\Cabs. Click Next.

Removal

1. From the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. With Control Panel in Category View, double-click Performance and Maintenance.

3. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click System.

4. In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

5. In Device Manager, click the plus sign (+) in front of the type of device you want to install the drivers for, and then double-click the specific device to open the Properties dialog box.

7. In the Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall.

8. In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.

Troubleshooting

If you are having difficulty during or after the driver installation, download the file again, and then perform the installation steps for a second time.

Reason for Update

This is the initial release of the driver.

Applicable Part/Model Numbers

105587 - MS-7173 Motherboard

1009060 - eMachines H5046 Desktop

1008975 - eMachines T3422 Desktop
    1009042 - eMachines T5046 Desktop

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I understand that you have the latest driver. I'm not sure if you reinstalled it since the problem started. If you did not already do so right click on the ethernet in Device Manager and uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver (this is in case the installed instance is corrupted).

If still no good, sometimes a NIC refuses to auto-sync a speed with a particular modem, router or switch. In Device Manager right click on the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab. If there is a 'Speed & Duplex' property try different values, beginning with 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex.

12. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

TerryNet, you cracked it. The 100 Mbps full duplex didn't work but the 10 Mbps full duplex did. Well done. Do I leave it at 10 Mbps? (It was on Auto Negotiation.) Does that mean my connect speed will be slower from now on at only 10 Mbps?

BTW, I am now using my desktop to log on Tech Support Guy and send this reply.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what speed your internet access is; but, yes, on the desktop it is now limited to 10 Mbps (actual data throughput will be less). When the ethernet fails completely, or if your internet service is considerably more, I suggest you get a USB ethernet adapter.

Of course, if you get a different router some day you can try auto negotiate again.

14. rofdjvs

rofdjvs Thread Starter

Bummer. OK, then I may try and install a second LAN card. The current one is actually not a card but hard wired into the motherboard. I had ordered a USB D-Link 300N adapter (router is D-Link DIR615) yesterday morning when I didn't think I was going to get the hard wired LAN or NIC to work. We did finally but only at reduced efficiency ie 10 Mbps. Altho I prefer a card over wireless since it is my understanding that wired is faster than wireless. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice